Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 2017 Blacktails PT 2

Cool My 2017 Blacktails PT 2

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...lacktails-PT-1

After I shot buck my first buck I went back to my original area and hunted 3 more full days dawn to dusk but only saw does. On the 28th I woke up at 5 and decided to go back to sleep, hunting is a waste of time and I was tired. Well Turns out I hit the snooze button and my alarm went off at 5:10 this time I decided hunting is the best and I should drag my lazy ass outta bed and go hike around in the rain! So I did. I drove to the trailhead, hiked the 45 minutes into my spot and started still hunting. I was working my way along the edge of an opening and a big ridge that runs straight up the mountain I get about half way up the opening when I cross a well pronounced game trail heading from the opening to the ridge, the trail climbs in elevation. I figure I may as well head for the fresh snow as I'm only a few hundred feet below snowline. As I'm about to crest the ridge I see movement above me it's 3 does. I watch them, they watch me. I can't tell if they have a buck following them I start going to blow that same stupid doe bleat and I see another deer off to the left. Before I can get a good look at the mystery deer they have worked there way behind a rock and are gone my wind is good and i figure I'll close some distance while they're out of sight I get to the top of the ridge and see a deer at full sprint disappear over the far side of the ridge down a steep ass talus slope.
    I figure I must have been too aggressive and spooked them, just blew my best chance since my last buck. I peek over and see a deer running below me, I think I see antler and there is another animal running behind it. Then it looks like they are fighting. I have never seen bucks chase each other like that so I tried to move up the ridge to get a less obstructed look the timber is thick and i can only catch the odd glimpse of movement but I can hear rocks flying and crashing they are maybe 75 yards down the hill. Then right in front of me I notice a cougar, crouched, facing away from me at maybe 25 feet, its Intent on what I now realise is another cougar killing a deer. I stay quiet and watch it as it slowly stalks its way down towards this commotion. I can hear a struggle but I can't see anything anymore. I waited there about 15 minutes, the commotion got patchy, it would be quiet and then I would hear thrashing, then quiet etc. I don't know for sure what happened. But I'm confident I was hearing the deer kicking as it died. The cat I saw was young and could well have been hunting with its mother. I started VERY slowly picking my way down the slope towards the commotion to get a better look until I heard a yowl from below me. I figured I better not push my luck and backed out back to the ridge top.

cougar 1 by jeff J, on Flickr

At this point I'm thinking it's not going to happen for me today. I've read how spooky BTs are and I figure if there is a family of cougars in the area there is a good chance those guys aint hanging around. But what do I know! I may not be a great hunter, but I am stubborn as hell, so I decide to keep working my way up the ridge. I put some distance between me and the cats and continue to still hunt. At this point I'm up in the fresh snow and not cutting any fresh tracks I stop eat a snack look at the GPS. I've gained 2500 feet in elevation I figure I'll go for an even 3000 and then head her home. A few mutes later I spot some movement and with the naked eye it looks like a massive antler is sticking out from behind a tree. I get shakey excited, throw up the binos... aaaaaand its a branch. I put the binos back in the harness take a few steps but I just have to check again... Its still a branch but Id swear I saw movement. Then I see a bedded buck staring at me, laying in a shadow right in front of the tree this stick is hiding behind. I take a few steps towards a fallen log and rest the rifle. Just as I get on him he hops up and walks over a small roll, I can only see his head. I'm pretty confident that if I scare him I can follow tracks and get back on him so I decide to be aggressive. I'm downwind so I start moving toward him and uphill to try to get an angle on him. I get into about 50 yards and see 2 other deer, they are does they don't seem spooked they seem more concerned with keeping away from the buck. I keep moving uphill from them, I get to about 30 yards and I notice another buck. He's bigger. He starts moving downhill away from me, so I blow that stupid little doe bleat and he stops turns around and takes a few steps. I still don't have a shot and its starting to look like he's gonna run. The other buck is a nice 2 point he's perfectly broadside focussed on the does, but I figure I'll take the risk and go for a slightly bigger deer, why not. I try the doe bleat again and.... its broken. It just makes an awful hissy screach sound. I'm done I though I blew, it I guess that's why you don't buy your calls at Canada tire. the buck and I stare at each other for at least 3 or 4 minutes and then starts working his way back to the does. I can't believe it. I go to put my hearing pro in before I take the shot and all of a sudden he turns broadside in a tiny shooting lane. The call is in my mouth so I blow it to stop him and that stupid Bleat thing doesn't make a sound... he walks right through the shooting lane. now he's working his way along this little tiny rollover. If he walks down any further i won't be able to see him and if he walks up ill have a shot. Poor guy made a mistake and took a step up the hill, I have a clear shot. The trusty old Tikka goes BOOM.

I look up and no deer. I listen... nothing. It's only maybe 20-30 yards to where he was so I quietly pick my way over there's a doe standing pretty much in his tracks. Am I crazy? Did I just shoot at a doe? Then I see him down below me, he's struggling to walk down the slope. I was confident with my shot but I wasn't taking any chances. I shot again he jumped and crashed down the slope. I didn't wait, I walked down there immediately, he's stone dead and his body is HUGE. Cut him up, boned most of it out, thew it in the pack and had one hell of a shitty walk back to the truck. weighed the meat when i got home it was 138 lbs (thats including his head) 4 days ago now and i still feel it. He's my first (I think) mature Blacktail. Couldn't be more pumped on my best year hunting to date. Region 2 finally produced two awesome Blacktails for me.

Anyone who's not having success this year, keep at it! Don't quit. it's not over until it's over.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/229w7MZ]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZNdb2T]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/229w8d8]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/E1GmAJ]
    Last edited by GoOutside; 12-03-2017 at 08:55 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My 2017 Blacktails PT 2

That's a hum-dinger! Sounds like one hell of a day, even without the kill. Nice work.

Jeez you have a hArd time getting the horseshoe out? Way to go
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Great BT...what a memorable day starting off with the cats.
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

.....sigh....I guess I'll keep trying.

Gotta love all the action ! Beautiful bucks! Looks like the genetics are similar between the two !?
    Tell it how it is!!!

Thanks guys! I already cant wait till next year.

Nice buck!!

All I can say is wow!

Congrats! Some people would love to shoot a mulie that big let alone a blacktail.

You've found yourself a great spot with a good population of deer. Keep it secret!!!!