Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 2017 Blacktails PT 1

Cool My 2017 Blacktails PT 1

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...lacktails-PT-2
    ^^ Buck # 2
    Hey guys
    hope everyone is having a successful season thus far
    I love reading everyone's stories on here so I figured I'd take a crack at it.
    Apologies in advance I wrote this on my phone so don't expect anything well written.
    Been hunting for 4 years now the first two years I tried really hard for Blacktails on the mainland with no luck. I'd see the odd doe while driving to spots or a tail disappearing into the trees while still hunting but I was never able to seal the deal. However, being a man with a plan my backup was always to go to an island in region 2 where you cant sneeze without spooking BTs and luckily always manage to fill the freezer.
    This year I have hell bent on finding myself a big old stinky black tail buck... or a spike, or literally any Blacktail. I found myself a spot along the sea to sky that seemed promising and stuck with it being new to hunting the snow has proven to be really helpful and the first good dump Nov 20 had me chomping at the bit I woke up at 5 drove the hour to the bottom of the mountain I hunt there's a small trail into the general area and as I was walking the 20 feet from my car to the trailhead a guy who had parked just after me literally sprinted in front of me to be the first one up the trail I said hi and he basically ignored me im not one to be bothered so gave him a minute and then started walking I figured there's no way we we're heading to the Same area where I'd seen a few rubs I get to where I usually Bail off the trail and buddys tracks are heading along the same bench guess I should have woken up 5 minutes earlier!
    I was pretty discouraged as that was the only area I was familiar with but I'm not going to follow some guy into the same area. I like space and apparently, so do deer, so I keep walking for another 30 minutes up this old trail. Eventually I get to a steep bluffy section and decided to just start hiking straight up until I find my dream deer. I hike for another 30 minutes to get some distance from the trail, then I still hunt for about an hour through these bluffs. I see a few day old rub and some fresh tracks. I'm a pretty excitable guy so i just start going to town on this stupid little doe bleat I bought from Canada tire in Squamish. I keep hearing that you shouldn't call too much, and that less is more. But for some stupid reason I just feel like if I use it constantly then the deer will definitely know I'm a doe..... after probably my 3d call in the first 60 seconds I see movement. It's working! I think to myself but oh is it ever not working all I'm seeing is two butts trotting straight up through a little gap in the bluffs above me. I take a second to think and I decide maybe I should put the doe bleat away for now I give the deer 5 minutes and slowly start following their tracks. Im in the snow at this point so the tracks are easy to follow and the timber is mature and we'll spaced so I can see a fair ways. I follow the tracks for a while until I find my deer and the first one I see is a HUGE MASSIVE Deer must be a mature buck I I throw my binoculars up to get a good look and it's only a fawn... I'm just too excited. I catch movement above me and there's a doe doing that " I'm being chased by a buck" run. Low and behold I see antler on the deer behind her. I pop the caps off my scope and hit the doe bleat. The buck stop broadside maybe 75 yards and KABOOM drops in his tracks, slides down the hill to a perfect little cleaning area, kicks a few times and bobs your uncle.
    Looks like I'm eating venison again this winter!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/229wevi]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/229wenT]
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/229wega]r

Last edited by GoOutside; 12-03-2017 at 08:48 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My 2017 Blacktails PT 1

Congrats, gotta love those red antlers.
    WSSBC Life Member
    CCFR

Originally PM'd from stixnstones:
    "wheres your pics of this deer? if he is a good one. i will pay u to tell me where he lives? cash for christmas. let me know. thanks"

WOw that is a nice blacktail! Congrats!

Thanks guys! I was worried everyone was just gonna laugh at me. haha

Very nice great photos
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Jeez that's one heck of a deer. Hope you wrote buddy a thankyou note and stuck it to his windshield. Super jelouse congrats
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Thats a great BT

Nice one. Perseverance pays off.

Congrats, nice lil' buck!
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

Pics are gone, damn photobucket.