Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My last day of season Whitey

My last day of season Whitey

Up at camp in the Christian Valley alternating between 2 stands on a family friend’s property, I hunted my ass off Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and saw nothing. Wednesday at 9:30, 11, and 4:15, I saw three pairs of small does. At least it was something, I was getting bored hunting from light to dark, going a little crazy with the squirrels.

Thursday morning I was out in the early light and climbed up, gave a grunt and started organizing all the crap in my pockets, granola bars and water, bino’s Etc. Out of the corner of my eye, 75 ish yards away was this thing. I got the gun up and shot really quickly and had good confidence in the shot. This is like 10 minutes after sitting down tops.

Walked up to where he was at impact and there was no blood. Immediately doubt began to form and I followed his tracks a little bit until I found some blood. Kinda worried at this point. I walked back to the cabin to tell my dad and I had the feeling I knew I was going to be searching the mountain all day. He was getting ready to come help when I got back and started following. Little blood, fresh hard tracks in the fresh snow. Also snowing like a *******. Didn’t feel good about the tracks... made it 30 yards into the fairly thick bush and there he was. The biggest deer I’ve ever shot.

I got it with my tikka t3 in 6.5x55 with a 120gr ttsx. Went in high shoulder/neck and out ribs, destroying the lungs. Only blood was coming from mouth/nose, not the holes. They were tight on my finger. Butcher is a long time family friend and he says that there is very little actual meat loss when I asked about shooting through a roast or something. Lucky there

Anyways, emotions went high, low, high again in a pretty short period of time. That’s my ramble, he’s an easy 4x4 but with one little sticker of a beam so they all called it a 5x4

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My last day of season Whitey

very nice wt

I was up there to for those days as well and saw nothing legal. Elk, yotes and does was it for me. Great job. Hunting is always a roller coaster of emotions.

Great buck way to get er done . Your barns story is why I stay away . End result is a good one though congrats
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Nice buck!! Congratulations.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Sounds like you worked hard and were deserving. Nice Buck
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

cool! nice buck!

Nice going! It was tough up there the last few days, with the crunchy snow(ice). I too have had barnes (tsx) pencil through an animal. Only use 'em for the high velocity stuff now.
    Proud member of the fringe minority!

good on you! But, I never go for help, follow that sucker till I find it. `Specially if it`s snowing. But that`s just me. Congrats and happy eating!
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Nice buck.. congrats
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main