Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A few PICS from this year...

Re: A few PICS from this year...

Great Pics!
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

WTG Dean, your Avatar pic looks like a beauty buck as well.

Beauty BT, and love the pics, fantastic country....I'm happy I got the pack alarm, helps to sleep a,little better in griz country, worth the $$, works well..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Beauty BT, and love the pics, fantastic country....I'm happy I got the pack alarm, helps to sleep a,little better in griz country, worth the $$, works well..
    Thanks. I usually just throw some dry branches in the likely approach routes as an alarm. I'll have to check out the pack alarm...

Quote Originally Posted by jacksondog View Post
    WTG Dean, your Avatar pic looks like a beauty buck as well.
    Thanks Gord. I've shot mostly typicals over the years & I'm looking for a gnarly old non-typical (like your av' stud)... Every species is fun to hunt in their own way, but for me nothing beats chasing muleys in the high country.

I spent a few days hunting some of my remote spots (that weren't being pounded by the wolves) in late October snow - any buck season. Despite the wind & -15'C temps, it was an awesome hunt - lots of bucks cruisin' & even got to watch a couple scraps....

Here's a few clips (click on the vid' title to watch full-screen in youtube):
    Last edited by steepNdeep; 12-09-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

Apparently, I've taken muley conservation to heart & only shoot 'em with the camera now... lol I had my finger on the trigger with a couple of mature bucks, but just not the one that would motivate me to spend days packing out of a deep hole. It was satisfying to finally catch a big bruiser moving in daylight on the tail end of a storm, in an opening of a steep draw that I'd stalked big tracks down into in the past.

A 30+" muley that only showed up in the dark...

I laugh when guys talk about 'trophy hunters'. Everyone that I know hunts for meat. The difference is that some guys shoot the first legal buck they see, but others enjoy the experience & have the motivation & patience to be more selective.

To me, the antlers are just a token that honours the memories of the animal & the hunt. The natives who respected their animals more than most, utilized the whole carcass, including the rack. For a while, hunting was a lifestyle (& hopefully will be again one day) - shed hunting, scouting, checking trail cams & spending season(s) hunting for particular animals. The more that you put into the hunt, the more memories are evoked when you look at a rack...

There was a dominant 3x3 that I was tempted to shoot. Does anyone know the genetic probablility of bucks passing on their 3 x 3 rack?

Nice video! Looks like you had a heck of a time out there this season. Beautiful country!

How do you film those bucks? Were they close enough that you just used the camera on its own?

I tried to film some bucks early this season that I saw, but through the spotting scope it was just too shaky in the end.

Great stuff, Dean!
    Thanks for getting back on the sharing train!

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Great stuff, Dean!

SSS
    X2, great to see you back sharing your trips!!

Thanks!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Thanks for sharing, thoroughly enjoyed the awesome pics and movie.

Thanks boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    X2, great to see you back sharing your trips!!
    Just tryin' to walk the talk... (unlike some of the preachers on this site these days ; )

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    How do you film those bucks? Were they close enough that you just used the camera on its own?
    Mostly with the camera at 2-300 m & the blurry shots were with my phone. I suck at video, had some SD card issues & missed some bucks.
    I never try to film bucks that I'm thinking about shooting. Unlike LEH hunts in AB or US, big bucks here are few n far between & rarely stick their heads out in daylight for long...

For those that missed it, that was my welcome to Region 3 this year... I had 3 different packs howling around me from different mountains for ~20 minutes.

Parts of Regions 3 & 4 are infested with wolves now, which is why the wildlife biologists set no bag limit or closed season for wolves there. They are moving down from the north & up westward from the states starting to chew their way through Reg. 8. They have completely changed hunting in BC since I saw my first wolf near the border ~15 years ago...

As part of wildlife conservation, wolf populations have to be managed like all other species... Everyone needs to do their part to help or they have no right to complain about dwindling ungulate populations. Get out there & support your local wildlife organization & http://www.bcwf.net/index.php/about/our-mission