Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overdrive on quads??

Re: Overdrive on quads??

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Something doesn’t seam right. My brother has that exact same quad and he can easily keep pace with me and my buddies on mid size (450 & 500cc) quads when doing about 65 - 70 km per hour. .
    Same. Although I never did it much, my 350 bruin had no issue getting up to 70km.

High RPMs seem to come with belt drives. If you like to idle around, or cruise at the lowest RPMs, get a geared machine..........Honda quads are good for that.

I really notice the high RPMs on my Polaris RZR belt drive versus my Honda quad and wish it was simple to change . No easy/cheap solutions per posters on the RZR forum and in email correspondence with an aftermarket belt drive clutch parts supplier.

Good luck with it.

91 Suzuki 250cc cruisin' in 5th like a dream
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I've personally exceeded 100 kph
    That would be quite a train wreck if a deer or something stepped out in front of you

My 2007 Kawasaki 360kvf has no problems getting up to 70m/h on flat ground without being revved to the max.
    As for your question about bigger bikes being faster, the answer is yes. I’ve been on an 850 can am and a 750 brute force, both were considerably faster than my kvf.
    Last edited by Livewire322; 11-30-2017 at 06:51 PM.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    High RPMs seem to come with belt drives. If you like to idle around, or cruise at the lowest RPMs, get a geared machine..........Honda quads are good for that.

I really notice the high RPMs on my Polaris RZR belt drive versus my Honda quad and wish it was simple to change . No easy/cheap solutions per posters on the RZR forum and in email correspondence with an aftermarket belt drive clutch parts supplier.

Good luck with it.
    Nice. Thanks for the feedback

Thanks everyone. Good feedback on potential problems as well as things to look into for the future. Much appreciated.

TJ

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

You are basically expecting too much from a small machine. The Yamaha belt system is the best on the market, unless yo can hear it slipping it is probably not. I had 4 Grizzly atv's and put 15000 kms on each one of them and never a belt or clutch issue.. you can not ad to the top end without taking away from the bottom end. You can put on taller tires, but you will lose some in bottom end, prob not enough to make a different to use them or to not. The machine is not intended to have a lot of HP and fly down roads, but will get you around the trails just fine. When you are ready upgrade to a Grizzly, they are bullet proof machines.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."