Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grouse with a 28 gauge?

Re: Grouse with a 28 gauge?

Quote Originally Posted by kevan View Post
    28 ga. shotguns are pretty scarce, I’d like to find one.
    Sort of like looking for a chicken with teeth..
    28 Ga guns are not all that hard to find. There are just not that many used ones around. If you know guys who shoot skeet, that may be a good stating point. Short of that, a new gun may the way to go. Remington 1100 sport in 28 Ga are common, as are Browning Citoris, and their BPS. I believe that Remington 870's are chambered in 28. Your probably looking at $1100 plus for a new gun. I will say that of the shotguns I own, and the shooting that I do, the 28 is the sweetest gauge of them all, in my opinion. I have also heard the same sentiment from many others.

Agree with VLD43 first 25 straight in skeet was with a 28.Not that hard to find really seen an 870 Wingmaster in Wholesale before they went down for $800.00.I have 3 last one was a Weatherby 28 semi auto got it new from Prophet around 8 delivered.Seen a couple on the nutz for 5-6 so they are there.The Weatherby is a great grouse gun light and points nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Agree with VLD43 first 25 straight in skeet was with a 28.Not that hard to find really seen an 870 Wingmaster in Wholesale before they went down for $800.00.I have 3 last one was a Weatherby 28 semi auto got it new from Prophet around 8 delivered.Seen a couple on the nutz for 5-6 so they are there.The Weatherby is a great grouse gun light and points nice.
    Funny, some of the best scores I have seen in skeet is with either a 28 Ga or a 410. 28 has a pretty big following in skeet.

I’ll be taking the 28 out this season for a most upland hunts. Really excited

Continuing with the 28 theme 9 pheasants this year with my 28 Weatherby couple I would not have probably thought to shoot but there dead anyway

I just LOVE the little single shot cooey 16 gauge that I inherited from my neighbor in my teens for hunting grouse. What I would like to be able to do in the future is load my own shells.
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Gumsehwah View Post
    I just LOVE the little single shot cooey 16 gauge that I inherited from my neighbor in my teens for hunting grouse. What I would like to be able to do in the future is load my own shells.
    Pretty easy to get into reloading. Unfortunately though 16 Ga is not as popular in North America as it is in Europe. You will probably find it pretty difficult to find wads and empty shells and they will be expensive. This is why a lot of people use other more popular gauges. If you decide to reload, let me know, I may be able to help you access wads. Good luck

Far superior to a 410 imho
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Easy to buy 16 gauge loads and save the hulls. Choice of wads in Canada is limited. Will Bilozir frm De Winton AB supplies components and does gun shows in the West. He stocks Ballistic Products components. He also stocks 28 gauge stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Anybody that hunts with a .410 would throw it away after one outing with a 28 ga., way more gun. There's a lot of people that hunt "all" upland game with 28 ga. shotguns and that includes pheasants, I'v never heard of anyone hunting pheasants with a .410. As Foxton said in another post it's all about the number of pellets, more is better!
    I don't know, I bought a matching pair of wing masters many years ago, 12g and 410 caliber in 3in mag. I've probably shot well over 100 grouse with that 410, and more than a few rabbits, too many squirrels to count, I can't see myself wanting to change too a larger ga. Fantastic gun for upland game birds IMO and it doesn't mess them up, usually LOL.