Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grouse with a 28 gauge?

Grouse with a 28 gauge?

Anybody else use a 28 gauge for grouse? I started using a Browning BPS 28 ga three years ago and love it. Good for grouse on the ground and on the wing. Took 26 ruffies so far this year, 39 last year, and 20-something the year before. I use #6 shot.

Highly recommend the 28 ga if anyone is thinking about a shotgun for upland game birds. They are not very popular and may not find them stocked on the shelves; I had to have my local shop order it out of the USA for me so waited a few weeks, but well worth the wait.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse with a 28 gauge?

Anybody that hunts with a .410 would throw it away after one outing with a 28 ga., way more gun. There's a lot of people that hunt "all" upland game with 28 ga. shotguns and that includes pheasants, I'v never heard of anyone hunting pheasants with a .410. As Foxton said in another post it's all about the number of pellets, more is better!

I have gone from the 20ga. to the 28 as my go to for upland birds. The 28 patterns the best of all gauges. # 5 for pheasants and blues, 6's for others. Love it for skeet and do well on sporting clays. Its amazing how far it breaks targets with I/c chokes.

12ga only for the cheaper ammo. Not for the BANG or the kick.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I have an old Iver Johnson single shot 28 gauge that I enjoy shooting quail and cotton tail rabbits with. At close range it does the job without destroying meat.

I have an old cooey 28 gauge - AWESOME for small game , as said above way better than .410

but what do i know probably killed more grouse with rocks -lol
    And That Is That

yup 28 is really a great gauge except for the price of shells use it for grouse all the time and it was deadly on doves...

Cool. Hadn't met anyone else in person that even had a 28 ga. Nice to hear several out there with same affection for this great shotgun.

I've got two 28 Gauge guns. A citori and a Remington 1100. Shot pheasants with the 1100 and a lot of skeet with the citori. In my opinion, the 28 gauge is the best balance of hitting power and lite recoil. Best gauge out there. As far as the cost of ammo goes, the initial purchase price can be high, but the reloading cost is quite low. Probably about $3.50 to $4.00 a box. So if you take the time to pick up your empty hulls, you can shoot this gauge quite cheaply.

I’ve bounced between using a 22 and a 12 gauge for a lot of years but went back to a 20 gauge side-by-side. I would love it if it was 28 gauge, but this one came up first and was reasonable. I like scaling it back from 12 gauge power little bit.