Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skull Cleaning - Pressure Cooker

Re: Skull Cleaning - Pressure Cooker

bury it in the backyard and let the maggots eat it lol

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    Does anyone use soda ash in the boil?
    If so where do you buy it?
    use it always, Sodium Bicarbonate, basic baking soda, Arm & Hammer type stuff

or if you know a rig pig that can get 50 lb bags on the cheap from the drilling mud chemicals
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

This guy on YouTube has a half billion videos going over his whole process for getting beautifully cleaned skulls. You should watch them. He doesn't use a pressure cooker though. I pressure cook a lot and I'm damn certain it would just turn the skull to mush.

Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOVbnB1KzFo

I am jealous as hell that you got something though. I'm all finally licensed up (took me bloodly long enough) and I haven't been able to find anyone to take me even on a quick hunt somewhere this season

put it in your crab trap does a great job

I normally boil the skull for about 20 to 25 minutes, remove meat, (pressure washer works great, but not necessary), and then boil them again for another 20 minutes in a peroxide solution. Hydroponics shops are a good bet for some good peroxide. Make sure that if you pressure wash the skull to be careful not to blow through the thin bone, and also, remove the teeth after the initial boiling or you may lose them.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    use it always, Sodium Bicarbonate, basic baking soda, Arm & Hammer type stuff

or if you know a rig pig that can get 50 lb bags on the cheap from the drilling mud chemicals

Not the same. Soda Ash is Sodium Carbonate, NA2CO3.
    I speeds up softening the tissue and helps to allowing you to clean the skull before damaging the bones.

I use it to clean skulls, a cup to three gallons of water. I get it from the local taxidermy supply store.

Soda ash = Arm n Hammer So clean washing soda, ( Grocery store ) to whiten after meat is cleaned off sculls mix 35% peroxide ( hydroponic store ) with climbing chalk ( available @ mountain Co Op or similar stores) making a paste the consistency of mayonnaise and paint onto skull,allow to dry usually 12-24 Hours then clean off dried chalk with brush and water. Also make sure to wear gloves and safety glass when working with peroxide or you will get chemical burns!

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Not the same. Soda Ash is Sodium Carbonate, NA2CO3.
    I speeds up softening the tissue and helps to allowing you to clean the skull before damaging the bones.

I use it to clean skulls, a cup to three gallons of water. I get it from the local taxidermy supply store.
    Yeh, I thought a bit about that after leaving the keyboard. Different stuff, the baking soda works just not as caustic
    Last edited by boxhitch; 12-03-2017 at 02:57 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda is 100% sodium carbonate and it is used as a laundry booster and general household cleaner. ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda is 100% sodium bicarbonate and has a myriad of household cleaning, personal care, and deodorizing uses, as well as being a leavening agent.

No need to order anything all is available within short drive of home !