Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cougar hunting tips needed

cougar hunting tips needed

Hi all,
    Just looking if anyone got some experience hunting cougars without dogs. Would love to hear it from you.
    Thx

2. Site Sponsor

Re: cougar hunting tips needed

Called one in with a mouth call a few years back. Rabbit in distress worked.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Never gone hunting them but have come across a few and called them back just making a crying baby noise. Curiosity would have killed them if i hasd tags.
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

Go to a seedy bar..do NOT order a drink..you will hear them..." hey young fella can a lady buy you a drink" ?..lol..

Seriously head high. .up to fir and above.
    Look for fresh tracks..follow slowly from the side of the tracks..not directly in them..glass carefully a head.for resting cat..in trees on ledges..in juniper..be prepared for long long days.
    Heard of one guy out west who did this but needed dogs to retrieve cat.
    Serious undertaking. .let us know.
    Steven

I wanna try using treestand and predator moving decoy ....the one that flips and wiggles around ....sound and movement should keep them coming closer.....worth a shot lol

You think they would be high up in the snow at this time of year? going after m goats? I thought they would be at lower elevations now,,, where elk and deer graze...no?

QUOTE=srupp;1956947]Go to a seedy bar..do NOT order a drink..you will hear them..." hey young fella can a lady buy you a drink" ?..lol..

Seriously head high. .up to fir and above.
    Look for fresh tracks..follow slowly from the side of the tracks..not directly in them..glass carefully a head.for resting cat..in trees on ledges..in juniper..be prepared for long long days.
    Heard of one guy out west who did this but needed dogs to retrieve cat.
    Serious undertaking. .let us know.
    Steven[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by nuadixion; 11-28-2017 at 04:17 PM.

High is a relative term..yes you are correct find the deer..you have found their major food source...the cats will be in the neighborhood. .heading higher..ish..to bed usually on a ledge..
    Steven

if you find a track in the snow just follow it they will know and go in a tree and check you out . courosity kills the cat . As my dad used to do if they were around 22 in the lower body lung on a deer and just give it time then follow cougar will be laying close by sleeping the meal off .

Quote Originally Posted by scotty30-06 View Post
    I wanna try using treestand and predator moving decoy ....the one that flips and wiggles around ....sound and movement should keep them coming closer.....worth a shot lol
    I am going to try this method with some rabbit furs and string this year. Hope it works...
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

In Washington they cut a fresh track and run them on foot often wearing snow shoes. Cats have small lungs and tire easy, they don't allow dogs to hunt cats in Washington so this is their alternative. Talked to a young lad that does this quite a bit, interesting and certainly puts you in great shape for sheep season!