Thread: 2 Minute Survey for Orca Recovery

Exclamation 2 Minute Survey for Orca Recovery

The Georgia Strait Alliance has put forth a survey to collect YOUR thoughts on potential steps being taken to try and recover the dwindling population of southern resident killer whales.

I would encourage all fishermen, and any with an interest to fill this out.
    If we want to realize any fisheries down the road, letting them know your thoughts / position is important.

A few notes:

Recent studies and conclusions by biologists have determined that shutting down coastwide fisheries will have very little positive impact.
    Those that should be considered for closures (their opinion again) focus on in-river netting, especially so on the Fraser.
    Offshore fishing of mixed stocks apparently contributes but little to the overall problem.

Fish farms, although controversial, are most likely contributing to the problems.

At this point, sea lion and harbor seal populations are at an all time high, and recognized to be beyond carrying capacity.
    Studies have shown that these two predators consume sixty-four (plus) percent of annual chinook and coho production in the Strait. A reduction in their numbers is likely the most beneficial undertaking we can engage in at this point.

Hatcheries, when run properly, can provide a good stop-gap to immediately address the shortfalls in chinook production.

Habitat enhancement is the second most efficient program we can in terms of increasing salmon production, and is the longest lasting.

The survey is located here: http://georgiastrait.org/2-minute-su...-recovery-oat/

Cheers & Many Thanks for sharing your concerns!
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2 Minute Survey for Orca Recovery

Sorry, like to participate but not giving personal info to that group.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    Sorry, like to participate but not giving personal info to that group.
    Exactly. They don't need all that info unless they plan to come looking for money afterwards.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Fish farms, although controversial, are most likely contributing to the problems.
    Nog
    Curious:

What, at this point, is deemed controversial about open net fish farms contributing to declines in salmon stocks?

Thumbs down Re: 2 Minute Survey for Orca Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    Exactly. They don't need all that info unless they plan to come looking for money afterwards.
    At which time you tell them where to go and not contact you again.
    You obviously can choose not to put your say forward in this survey, but I would suggest doing so in another fashion asap.

Although the fed's own biologists are telling them shutting down the fisheries is NOT the way to go, guess what that is being interpreted as? They are already planning major closures, and while they recognize it will do nothing (similar to the noise reduction programs you see on TV) it allows them to say they "tried" and are "doing something" when in fact the exact opposite is true.

Your MLA and the Fisheries Minister's addresses aren't hard to locate.

Don't put your two cents in, do not bitch when they shut down your fishing...

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

perhaps when the KW's arrive we could release a pen full of farmed salmon every year to help them out..JK