Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pant Recommendations please (sept/October wet day pant for elk hunting)

Re: Pant Recommendations please (sept/October wet day pant for elk hunting)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
    The Kuiu Attack pant is a damn good pant. Keeps me fairly dry, but when the weather breaks, they dry in minutes.
    Kuiu attacks looked great and so did the skre handscrabble pants with the skre's being a little thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    I'm on the island, so 90% of my hunting is done during or shortly after rain. The only way I've found to stay dry, with some stretch, is the Dakota brand rain paints. They're a bit stretchy, and I wear gators under them. They're reasonably light too, and pack up pretty small.
    I tried for several years to find a waterproof "hunting" or even just "outdoor" brand product that was waterproof and breathable. I didn't try the $400 jacket offerings, because that's just too damn rich for my blood. I'd love to, but $90 rain pants work better than any of the stuff I tried.
    I'll head down to marks one day and have a peak at the Dakota pants. I see a women's dakota stretch rain pant online but couldnt spot a men's version. Hoping to store stocks them.

timberlines are great pants, but they soak up the water just like any soft faced pant, and take quite a bit of time to dry out. I would look for a pair of used kuiu chugach NX pants if i were you. Those are rain pants, they breath well and have some stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    I'll head down to marks one day and have a peak at the Dakota pants. I see a women's dakota stretch rain pant online but couldnt spot a men's version. Hoping to store stocks them.
    https://www.marks.com/en/dakota-stre...5B*Adgroup*%5D

There's also a "normal" pant, but I prefer the bibs. A few weeks ago I was wearing a badlands eco jacket, and a first lite chama, badlands ion pants and these rain pants, with a 60lb pack and was comfortable, didn't end up soaked in sweat.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

How were they in the wet? I really like my pranas b/c of the stretch and quick drying,but when it's 5-10degrees out and then get wet I am out ecstatic... Haha.

Timberlines do a good job of not saturating right away and then drying when they do get wet?
    Only had them on for a few hunts and haven't been in really wet conditions except once. (Rain gear used).
    WSSBC Life Member
    CCFR

Originally PM'd from stixnstones:
    "wheres your pics of this deer? if he is a good one. i will pay u to tell me where he lives? cash for christmas. let me know. thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    x2 .... Gore-tex is breathable .... but not that breathable. If you're hiking you'll just sweat from the inside. It cannot possibly pass the moisture through fast enough.

These fabrics should really be labeled as "waterproof & barely-breathable" instead of "waterproof & breathable"
    I hear you with the wool. I have been waring a pair of oversized wool pants I found at the salvation arm. Have worn them mid October through to last weekend. Work very well and totally happy with them in rain and snow.

I just have that gap in clothing earlier in the year when my prana Zions are soaking through....

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    timberlines are great pants, but they soak up the water just like any soft faced pant, and take quite a bit of time to dry out. I would look for a pair of used kuiu chugach NX pants if i were you. Those are rain pants, they breath well and have some stretch.
    Is this a true pant that I can wear through the day or is it built more as a rain pant shell that is intended to be worn over another pair of pants?

I've looked at them on kuiu site, just curious to have your opinion as I'd prefer it to be a pant that I wear all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovis17 View Post
    Only had them on for a few hunts and haven't been in really wet conditions except once. (Rain gear used).
    Thanks for reply. I'm looking for that heavily water resistant pant that I expect to be wet in by the end if the day if I've been walking in the rain or in wet underbrush all day. OK to be wet within hours, just not minutes.

I live on the coast so wet hunting conditions are the norm. I purchased a pair of Harkila pants(google it) about 10 years ago, goretex lined that I find very comfortable and quiet to walk in. Temperatures of -5 to +10C are good and will keep me dry for 3 or 4 hours. They are pricey but you know the story, you get what you pay for.

Is this a true pant that I can wear through the day or is it built more as a rain pant shell that is intended to be worn over another pair of pants?

I've looked at them on kuiu site, just curious to have your opinion as I'd prefer it to be a pant that I wear all day.
    they're a rain shell, but breathe pretty well. Only real thing it do is either wear a rain shell or just get a light pair of pants that will dry fairly fast as you're hiking.