Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pant Recommendations please (sept/October wet day pant for elk hunting)

Pant Recommendations please (sept/October wet day pant for elk hunting)

So I've been checking out all the big name hunting gear sites as well as some non hunting company sites.

Lots of options out there but I really need lean on you folks for some first hand experiences.

I hunt the timber of the west kootenays.

what I want is a pant that I can wear after/during a rainfall that won't soak through as I walk through the underbrush.

I expect to be wet by the end of the day but I have prana Zions that soak through within minutes of waking through wet underbrush.

I'd like some stretch to the pants for sure.

What has worked for you all while elk hunting in wet conditions?

Any experience with softshell pants that people use for ski touring?

Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pant Recommendations please (sept/October wet day pant for elk hunting)

Sitka timberlines work well. Or a "breathable" hard shell with a brushed face for stealth. But in that case I find you just get wet from the inside.

I'm back to good old wool.

I love my Timberlines, the comfort and fit is amazing.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    Sitka timberlines work well. Or a "breathable" hard shell with a brushed face for stealth. But in that case I find you just get wet from the inside.

I'm back to good old wool.
    x2 .... Gore-tex is breathable .... but not that breathable. If you're hiking you'll just sweat from the inside. It cannot possibly pass the moisture through fast enough.

These fabrics should really be labeled as "waterproof & barely-breathable" instead of "waterproof & breathable"

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    So I've been checking out all the big name hunting gear sites as well as some non hunting company sites.

Lots of options out there but I really need lean on you folks for some first hand experiences.

I hunt the timber of the west kootenays.

what I want is a pant that I can wear after/during a rainfall that won't soak through as I walk through the underbrush.

I expect to be wet by the end of the day but I have prana Zions that soak through within minutes of waking through wet underbrush.

I'd like some stretch to the pants for sure.

What has worked for you all while elk hunting in wet conditions?

Any experience with softshell pants that people use for ski touring?

Cheers
    softshell pants have a tighter weave and DWR coating which helps them maintain water resistance. As the DWR wears off, they're going to become almost like any other pants. They will soak through when brush is coming in contact with them as you hike through. you have to keep washing them and re-applying the DWR coating and its kind of annoying.

I would think a pair of hardshell (waterproof) pants would be best for you. If you get a good pair (pricey, unfortunately) they will most likely have side zips which you can leave open from your hip down to mid-thigh. It should help vent heat and keep inside condensation to a minimum while keeping most of the water off the brush out.

But, almost none of the hardshell pants are stretch. If they are, they're probably even MORE money.

What's your budget?

Looking to spend 150ish. Prefer to find a lightly used pair some I might be able to reach up in quality.

I have heard the timber lines mentioned before. Thanks for that feedback. Is it a thicker fabric that helps repel water or is it thinner fabric that relies heavily on dwr coating?

I have been wearing wool pants through the late fall and they work great. I just know they aren't feasible earlier in the season. Checked out first lite b/c they like wool in their products but it didn't seem like they had a good option... And some of their pants seem to have suspect quality/quick wear.

I'm on the island, so 90% of my hunting is done during or shortly after rain. The only way I've found to stay dry, with some stretch, is the Dakota brand rain paints. They're a bit stretchy, and I wear gators under them. They're reasonably light too, and pack up pretty small.
    I tried for several years to find a waterproof "hunting" or even just "outdoor" brand product that was waterproof and breathable. I didn't try the $400 jacket offerings, because that's just too damn rich for my blood. I'd love to, but $90 rain pants work better than any of the stuff I tried.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    I love my Timberlines, the comfort and fit is amazing.
    Absolutely loving my new timberlines from Sitka. Perfect fit, stretch, pockets and goretex seat and knees. Wasn't sure if I'd like the knee pads but love them too. Worth every penny.
    WSSBC Life Member
    CCFR

Originally PM'd from stixnstones:
    "wheres your pics of this deer? if he is a good one. i will pay u to tell me where he lives? cash for christmas. let me know. thanks"

The Kuiu Attack pant is a damn good pant. Keeps me fairly dry, but when the weather breaks, they dry in minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovis17 View Post
    Absolutely loving my new timberlines from Sitka. Perfect fit, stretch, pockets and goretex seat and knees. Wasn't sure if I'd like the knee pads but love them too. Worth every penny.
    How were they in the wet? I really like my pranas b/c of the stretch and quick drying,but when it's 5-10degrees out and then get wet I am out ecstatic... Haha.

Timberlines do a good job of not saturating right away and then drying when they do get wet?