Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planning our First Mountain Goat Hunt!!

Re: Planning our First Mountain Goat Hunt!!

If you get stuck you could boat across tatogga and kill your goat. You’d save some money on the flight.

Thumbs up Re: Planning our First Mountain Goat Hunt!!

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    Well still in the works of planning our first trip we finally received the news we have been waiting for, we now have our accompany to hunt permit.
    Good Stuff!
    Still has me wondering just what the hell took so long for that Permit, but hey, at least you got it!!

Best of Luck!
    Looking forward to the tale & pix!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thanks bud looking forward to it still not locked down on our plan we are approved to hunt goat and caribou in
    6-17,6-19 and 6-20.

If you haven't flown in before you are going to have an amazing experience. Drink it up.

Weather can be pretty variable. Imagine if Northern Alberta was mountainous. Rain is very likely, so is sun, snow is possible. Tough part about flying in is the weight restrictions. Different pilots might give you a bit of wiggle room but usually their published maximums are pretty firm.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Yah alpine is limiting us to 750lbs per trip so we will be taking 2 trips in since there are 3 of us. And the distance we have to fly but if we pick a closer lake to tatogga we could bring more weight we were thinking about Nuttlude west of tatogga.

i was up in 6-20 last year that same time frame I flew in 14th sept, hiked up the mountain and spiked at high elevation. just make sure you have a water source near by. as for temp it got cold enough that the water inside my tent would be half frozen, didn't have a thermometer but atleast -5 or more. no cell service for the last few hours approaching tatogga. they have rooms there you can rent for the night and also has a restaurant.

I did a hike in trip solo in southern bc last season shot a goat and packed out in one go. Deboned meat, full hide and head attached. That was a serious pack over 100# but I did it 4 km back to car from tip top of the mountain. So 3 guys will be a breeze.

Id say weather you will get will probably be pretty reasonable temps and fair weather. But ofcourse could be anything you might get a blizzard or ton of rain who knows so be prepared for anything.

Good luck. Send us some pics

Excited to hear about your trip...planning one for my self around early October. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    Sounds Pretty do able now once were actually confirmed with our Permit to Accompany paper work it will be even more exciting. Have talked to the float plane guys out of tatogga seem like good dudes just gonna be one heck of a drive from Northern Alberta but cant wait to do it. Do you guys think its possible to camp right at the lake then hike up a drainage each day or do you recommend heading up higher and spiking out for the 8 days.

Thanks
    See if anything off the lake worth a stalk then head high and spike out. Even hiking 4km in or 2km on steep ground and spiking is going to save you a lot time and energy after even 2 days. Lots more time for glassing this way and allows you to access a further basin where you could then bring your goat back to spike camp then base camp the next day.

Loaded 20 rounds last night what do you guys recommend for bring on a trip keep in mind we will be flying into the lake was think 20 at camp with maybe 9-12 on me for day hike.