Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planning our First Mountain Goat Hunt!!

Re: Planning our First Mountain Goat Hunt!!

Those hides can hold a lot of water = weight

do you guys typically take the entire hide or just half if your gonna do like a half mount. Thinking I would want to take the back end as well and maybe get tanned thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    do you guys typically take the entire hide or just half if your gonna do like a half mount. Thinking I would want to take the back end as well and maybe get tanned thoughts.
    We usually take to just behind the front legs for a shoulder/head mount. Have left capes if only doing euros and we've taken everything for a life size; depends what your taxi plans are. My dad has got the back ends tanned before off some goats. Drape them over couch backs or railings; they look pretty sharp.
    Last edited by Kopper; 12-09-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks I think I would like to take the back cape since this most likely will be only goat if your successful.

Following this and trying to get a trip planned with my nephew.

What is is the best time of year for goat hunting?

my hunting partner and I packed a goat off the mountain. buddy had head and entire cape and I packed all the meat deboned. We didnt exactly weigh our pack on the mountain but both weighed similar weights approx 60/70 lbs if I were to guess. Id say the volume of meat would be similar to a 2 point mulie.

A big goat should yield about 80lbs of meat. Figure another 20 for head and hide, 40 if you take full hide for a life size. Easy for 2 people unless your sissies, a chore for 1.

Sounds Pretty do able now once were actually confirmed with our Permit to Accompany paper work it will be even more exciting. Have talked to the float plane guys out of tatogga seem like good dudes just gonna be one heck of a drive from Northern Alberta but cant wait to do it. Do you guys think its possible to camp right at the lake then hike up a drainage each day or do you recommend heading up higher and spiking out for the 8 days.

Thanks

Hey Guys

What can we expect for temperatures mid September around 6-21 we all have gear for sleeping comfortably up to -15.

Thanks

Well still in the works of planning our first trip we finally received the news we have been waiting for, we now have our accompany to hunt permit. Cannot wait to go we will be driving to Tataggo Lake then flying into our Zone with Alpine Air. Come on Sept 14th!!!!