Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking out deer.

Re: Backpacking out deer.

I believe the change was made because a lot of mulie does were being shot during whitetail anterless and the CO's couldn't differentiate in the field so they made the requirement for the tail attached to be able to determine species in the field

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Again, I must be having a hard time with reading comprehension or something, please educate me as to where on the page it says that for a buck for example, I have to bring the tail and a part of the penis or a testicle along with the head with the accompaning antlers..the WT buck I harvested yesterday for example, I have the head and antlers, which any officer can clearly tell it's a whitetail, along with the meat..from what I read, I have the head and antlers and that's all that's needed, OR the tail and testicle or part of the penis..under the possession and transportation header there is nothing else that shows any other requirement..
    Read all of page 20. Under Possesion and Transportation..

Its right there..

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Don't worry about it. You're right.

It very obviously states if it is male you need the [head] OR [tail + penis/testicle].
    Head only if naturally left attatched to the carcass...

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    That sucks man. How much was the fine? Thanks for sharing though, hopefully your misfortune helps others avoid such a fate.
    $115.00 and he let me keep the deer.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Head only if naturally left attatched to the carcass...
    And what's the definition of a "carcass" or "part of a carcass" if the deer is in 20 pieces inside my backpack?

If i leave the head attached to 2" of neck, is that not a part of a carcass?

Give me a break

And what's the definition of a "carcass" or "part of a carcass" if the deer is in 20 pieces inside my backpack?

Give me a break
    Seems that didn't work out to well for Lowland6. If I was only using the head for sex and species ID I'd leave it attached to at least a quarter. The rules are there to help CO's prosecute poachers which I think we all want to see. It's unfortunate when someone gets a fine for a mistake in understanding of the regs.

Give me a break
    I agree with you but that is not how the CO service sees it.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...Head+attatched

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    Seems that didn't work out to well for Lowland6. If I was only using the head for sex and species ID I'd leave it attached to at least a quarter. The rules are there to help CO's prosecute poachers which I think we all want to see. It's unfortunate when someone gets a fine for a mistake in understanding of the regs.
    What I'm trying to say is that if an animal is butchered up into pieces there is no good piece you can call a "carcass" anymore. Even if I'm leaving the tail and testicles they're attached to such small pieces that they might as well be on their own.

The only way you could pull this off is if you kept one quarter whole and to that you left attached the tail and testicle.

But that's not feasible when you're packing one out quite a ways. And I'm not doing it.

I'm taking the head and deboning the rest and will deal with the CO when and If that comes up.

I also take plenty of photos and a video of what I've left behind as well as the intact animal before i start butchering so that certainly can't hurt in my proof.

What I'm trying to say is that if an animal is butchered up into pieces there is no good piece you can call a "carcass" anymore. Even if I'm leaving the tail and testicles they're attached to such small pieces that they might as well be on their own.

The only way you could pull this off is if you kept one quarter whole and to that you left attached the tail and testicle.

But that's not feasible when you're packing one out quite a ways. And I'm not doing it.

I'm taking the head and deboning the rest and will deal with the CO when and If that comes up.

I also take plenty of photos and a video of what I've left behind as well as the intact animal before i start butchering so that certainly can't hurt in my proof.
    I feel what your saying. They dont really make it easy to do that properly. I usually leave a tesiticle and tail on one rear quarter and then a patch of hair on each other quarter. Then bring the head out with. I guess if your debonning completely then yes it makes this rule very difficult. Its to bad they didnt think of that when the wrote it eh.

You're making perfect logical sense tSO, problem is perfect logical sense and laws don't always go together. Reminds me of when me and another guy got hauled up on the carpet by WCB back prior to it being Worksafe. The officer had us in his office and started his critique with "gentlemen, this has nothing to do with common sense or even safety really for that matter it has to do with rules". It was for having a guy in a trench more than 4 feet deep with no shoring, even though it was barely over and the top was paved so impossible to collapse. We got written up but he was nice enough to just do a written warning, could have been fined heavily.

Anyways the rules have changed for packing deer but all accounts and personally I'll be following them. As silly as they are in this instance its what the COs are left to go by.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this