Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking out deer.

Re: Backpacking out deer.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever done it 100% right but I'd sooner break one of those laws than shoot the wrong type or sex of deer.

I think it really depends on the CO you meet. I've never had a problem. Maybe because I'm a middle aged white guy with grey hair and a nice truck they think I'm not their highest likelihood poacher.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    Please correct me if i am wrong but i read that rule as i am legal to leave tail of buck in bush as long as i have rack attached to head. It does not say naturally attached to carcass.head can be cut off.
    WRONG

It does to say 'naturally attatched to the carcass'....

How do some of you hunt but dont bother to read the regs...

It has been coverd on here before.

Antlers are only evidence of species and sex when and only when they are naturally attatched to the carcass. That is to be said that the head must be attatched to part of the carcass NOT the head removed or skull cap etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 604ksmith View Post
    Hey Salty,

Isn't the chunk of fur only allowable for moose and elk, with deer needing the tail specifically?
    Page 20:
    (1) For elk and moose:
    (a) If the animal is male, either

(i)that portion of the head whichbears the antlers, OR
    (ii) both a testicle or part of the penis,AND the animal’s tail or anotherreadily identifiable part of the hidenot less than 6 cm2.
    (b) If the animal is female, either
    (i) that portion of the head which inmales normally bears antlers, OR

(ii) both a portion of the udder or teats,AND the animal’s tail or anotherreadily identifiable part of the hidenot less than 6 cm2.
    (2) For deer:
    (a)If the animal is male

(i) that portion of the head whichbears the antlers, OR
    (ii) the unskinned tail and either atesticle or part of the penis.
    (b) If the animal is female
    (i) that portion of the head which

in males normally bears antlers,OR a portion of the udder andteats, AND
    (ii) the unskinned tail.
    That's why if it's a buck, I only pack out the head with antlers for identification, I go by the 'OR'..

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    WRONG

Antlers are only evidence of species and sex when and only when they are naturally attatched to the carcass. That is to be said that the head must be attatched to part of the carcass NOT the head removed or skull cap etc.
    I read the regs and review them often, maybe my comprehension is off somewhere, please show me where it says that the head must be naturally to the carcass? As long as it's with the quarters and meat that your packing out this should be legal no??

Sounds like you ran into an asshole... good info though thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I read the regs and review them often, maybe my comprehension is off somewhere, please show me where it says that the head must be naturally to the carcass? As long as it's with the quarters and meat that your packing out this should be legal no??
    No it is not.

Pg. 20

Posession and Transportation:

Big Game

Anyone who posesses or transports the carcass or part of the carcass of the following animals must leave naturally attatched to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the persons posession the following listed parts:

(You missed that paragraph)

WRONG

This is the correct answer. Once you separate the head or antlers from the carcass you must have another form of proof of sex and species ie. testicle or penis for sex(for a buck),teats etc.(for a doe) and the tail for species. Throwing the head or antlers in with unidentifiable body parts won't cut it. This topic comes up every year.

No it is not.

Pg. 20

Posession and Transportation:

Big Game

Anyone who posesses or transports the carcass or part of the carcass of the following animals must leave naturally attatched to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the persons posession the following listed parts:

(You missed that paragraph)
    Again, I must be having a hard time with reading comprehension or something, please educate me as to where on the page it says that for a buck for example, I have to bring the tail and a part of the penis or a testicle along with the head with the accompaning antlers..the WT buck I harvested yesterday for example, I have the head and antlers, which any officer can clearly tell it's a whitetail, along with the meat..from what I read, I have the head and antlers and that's all that's needed, OR the tail and testicle or part of the penis..under the possession and transportation header there is nothing else that shows any other requirement..
    Last edited by HarryToolips; 11-26-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Again, I must be having a hard time with reading comprehension or something, please educate me as to where on the page it says that for a buck for example, I have to bring the tail and a part of the penis or a testicle along with the head with the accompaning antlers..the WT buck I harvested yesterday for example, I have the head and antlers, which any officer can clearly tell it's a whitetail, along with the meat..from what I read, I have the head and antlers and that's all that's needed, OR the tail and testicle or part of the penis..under the possession and transportation header there is nothing else that shows any other requirement..
    Don't worry about it. You're right.

It very obviously states if it is male you need the [head] OR [tail + penis/testicle].

It would be great if regulations kept up with science. If a CO catches you hauling out 120 lbs of deer from the boonies and thinks it may be from multiple animals, he can test it. I get it that it makes it easier, but I really don't get the tail on change. I always left hide on the end of legs and bagged it; a testicle or 4 as required. And then the the rack riding on my back. Christ, I get enough crap from my kids for leaving the hide in the bush already. They were just laying into me again tonight we
    want moccassins) as I was explaining the 3 hour hike in... and I'm even older on the hike out carrying some unnecessary tail (ok. maybe not the last bit).