Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking out deer.

Re: Backpacking out deer.

Quote Originally Posted by 604ksmith View Post
    Hey Salty,

Isn't the chunk of fur only allowable for moose and elk, with deer needing the tail specifically?
    Page 20:
    (1) For elk and moose:
    (a) If the animal is male, either

(i)that portion of the head whichbears the antlers, OR
    (ii) both a testicle or part of the penis,AND the animal’s tail or anotherreadily identifiable part of the hidenot less than 6 cm2.
    (b) If the animal is female, either
    (i) that portion of the head which inmales normally bears antlers, OR

(ii) both a portion of the udder or teats,AND the animal’s tail or anotherreadily identifiable part of the hidenot less than 6 cm2.
    (2) For deer:
    (a)If the animal is male

(i) that portion of the head whichbears the antlers, OR
    (ii) the unskinned tail and either atesticle or part of the penis.
    (b) If the animal is female
    (i) that portion of the head which

in males normally bears antlers,OR a portion of the udder andteats, AND
    (ii) the unskinned tail.
    Well Ill be be guess Ive done it wrong a time or two back packing out, I was sure a patch of fur and proof of sex was gtg for deer too
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

No need for fur attached for deer if you have a buck and bring out the antlers. Easy enough to leave a patch of fur on and a skinned out testicle though, the CO`s are happy to see all that evidence. interesting how they changed the requirement, its basically stating you don`t need to retain the antlers on a male, just the unskinned tail and testicle or penis.

I got fined this morning because I didn't know the rules changed back in 2016. I had the whole carcass this time with lots of hair left on the legs but no tail. The head was cut off but matches the neck perfectly.

Well as said I didn/t know either lowband6 thanks for bringing this up for all our benefits. I guess in the future a guys going to have to skin around the base of the tail leaving a strip of fur from the tail thats stuck to a quarter or something, then cut the tail. Sounds kind of petty to me I fail to see what a tail ids that the fur doesn't.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

No problem getting it right next time now I know the rule change. But it just got me thinking about packing out just a bunch of bags of meat and the head like I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo View Post
    The sticky bubbly layer of tissue beneath the skin is enough to hold the tail to a skinned hindquarter, but don’t be rough putting it in a game bag, it’s not holding on by much.
    Thanks. I'm done for this year but I'll give it a try next year.
    If I leave one quarter in tack and bone out the other 3 that might make the CO happy.

Quote Originally Posted by BTF View Post
    No need for fur attached for deer if you have a buck and bring out the antlers. Easy enough to leave a patch of fur on and a skinned out testicle though, the CO`s are happy to see all that evidence. interesting how they changed the requirement, its basically stating you don`t need to retain the antlers on a male, just the unskinned tail and testicle or penis.
    As long as the antlers are still attached to the carcass..

If your boning out meat for a pack out you best leave evidence of sex and the unskinned tail on one rear quarter. The antlers not attatched to the carcass is not considered evidence of sex or species.

Quote Originally Posted by lowband6 View Post
    I got fined this morning because I didn't know the rules changed back in 2016. I had the whole carcass this time with lots of hair left on the legs but no tail. The head was cut off but matches the neck perfectly.

That sucks man. How much was the fine? Thanks for sharing though, hopefully your misfortune helps others avoid such a fate.

Please correct me if i am wrong but i read that rule as i am legal to leave tail of buck in bush as long as i have rack attached to head. It does not say naturally attached to carcass.head can be cut off.

I've had CO tell me the following:

If bringing out whole leave: antlers on and you're fine

If quartering/boning out leave: unskinned tail + (penis or testicle)
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.