Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing in a bipod

Bringing in a bipod

Can anyone tell me if I would have a problem bringing a bipod across the border? I want to order an Atlas to pick up in Blaine and carry it across myself.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bringing in a bipod

As far as free advice from the internet goes, I'd say you'll be fine. I've done exactly that on numerous items.

Some hard research on what is legal to export without a permit might be in order though.

It is the US you have to worry about, not Canada. If they catch you on your way out of the US with items that require an export permit you are in the poop.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

If youre in the USA ask the shop where you are buying it from ....or when you go through the border pull over and ask at the Customs on your way down ...Better yet phone the American customs ...Go to the Source....Dennis

Do not bother asking the shop where you are buying it. Most, if not all, don't have a clue because it does not affect the majority of their customers.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    As far as free advice from the internet goes, I'd say you'll be fine. I've done exactly that on numerous items.

Some hard research on what is legal to export without a permit might be in order though.

It is the US you have to worry about, not Canada. If they catch you on your way out of the US with items that require an export permit you are in the poop.
    Yeah the US restrictions are pretty severe. I think bipod and things like scope rings are OK, but I'm in no way a lawyer and personally wouldn't bother given the headaches if you get something wrong.

Claim it as photo equipment.

It's never Canada that is the problem, it's American counter proliferation laws that limit export out of the United States, I guarantee that if the bipod is for anything that has been used by the us military then it will be prohibited for export, with getting an export permit.

I just checked Atlas bipod on Brownells site. There’s no indication that they won’t ship outside the states.
    "If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk"

Quote Originally Posted by howa1500 View Post
    It's never Canada that is the problem, it's American counter proliferation laws that limit export out of the United States, I guarantee that if the bipod is for anything that has been used by the us military then it will be prohibited for export, with getting an export permit.
    This is correct. It's not canada you have to worry about. It's getting caught by the random checkers of the USA right before you get to the canadian border. If they find it on you you're screwed.

Almost any gun accessory is an export controlled ITAR item.

The itar documents are extremely vague on purpose. Things like rangefinders and cameras are on there too as long as they are manufactured, designed or modified for military use .... good luck trying to find out what "military use" really means. It's very broad on purpose.

Having said that I brought a rangefinder across recently. It's always a bit of a risk. You jut have to hope the guy checking you has a realistic definition of what a military item is.

My understanding is if it is parts of a firearm or items that mount to a firearm... no. Plus whatever else they say you can't export without a permit.