Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I had a good meeting with my MLA

I had a good meeting with my MLA

Today I had a very productive meeting with my MLA Judy Darcy. She was very interested in what I wanted to talk to her about. We chatted and she took many notes and her assistant also wrote down key information. I can honestly say that she seemed genuinely interested and concerned about wildlife and habitat. We discussed everything on my agenda below and she was honest about how it was very unlikely that my concerns about the issues related to grizzly bears would change because they have a lot of other issues which are taking priority right now. That was disappointing. She did commit to take my commentary to the minister Doug Donaldson and raise issues of conservation with him. My goal with this first meeting was to introduce myself and my concerns. I wanted to draw attention to the fact that hunters are her constituents and care about habitat and wildlife more than anyone. I feel like I accomplished that goal. I followed the “give something to get something” principle and offered to be a resource for her if she has hunting or wildlife related questions. I broke the ice and now she knows a hunter in her constituancy who cares about wildlife and conservation. This is my first step in making our concerns an important issue in New Westminster. I am going to meet with her regularly to keep our issues at the forefront. Hopefully this is a good first step in showing that hunters are not the enemy of wildlife and conservation. We care the most about our precious wild places and stand up for wildlife more than our detractors would have the public believe.

Hunters Want Habitat Conservation and RestorationNovember 24, 2017
    Who:
    Alex Johnson, Hunter, Engineer, BCWF Member, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Member
    New Westminster
    There are approximately 95,000 resident hunters in BC, and many in NDP ridings. There are 4 on my street alone in New Westminster (Note the decals on pickup truck rear windows).
    What:
    1) Hunters are your neighbours and we are not poachers
    a. Hunters follow rules prescribed by the province
    b. Hunters contribute to conservation through licensing, donations, and memberships
    c. Hunters are a useful tool to collect data and manage wildlife with little cost.
    2) Habitat conservation and restoration is the only way to protect wildlife
    a. Mountain Caribou declines and currently predator control is a last resort
    b. BC steelhead are critically endangered in many streams and rivers
    c. Moose populations are declining in much of the province (See moose report)
    d. Grizzly bears which have a healthy growing population are distracting from actual conservation issues due to their charisma and public opinion.
    3) Increase funding to allow biologists and conservation officers the tools to restore habitat and manage wildlife populations
    a. BC has 1/10th the per-capita funding for habitat and wildlife of Idaho and many other states.
    b. All outdoor activities impact habitat and wildlife such as, resource extraction, skiing, boating, mountain biking, hiking, camping, hunting, and fishing.
    c. BC’s biologists only have the resources to watch habitat and animals slowly disappear, but not enough to do anything about it.
    d. BC’s conservation officers only have enough funding to manage problem animals rather than prevent poaching or polluting.
    4) Manage grizzly bears the same way as black bears, moose, elk, deer, caribou, mountain sheep, mountain goats, etc. They should not receive special status due to their charisma.
    a. Edible portions must be removed
    b. Managed though regulations (General open seasons and/or LEH)
    c. No special requirements to leave head, hide, or paws in the woods. This is wasteful, unethical, and accomplishes nothing.
    When:
    1) Now. Habitat and animals cannot wait.
    a. An election could happen soon
    b. The grizzly bear announcement comes into effect at the end of the month and wasting the hide, head, and paws is serious misstep which can be avoided. It is not based in science or evidence.
    Where:
    1) We don’t know! We do not have enough biologists collecting enough data to know where we need to act most quickly.
    How:
    1) Ensure science and evidence put forward by provincial biologists is the primary source for setting conservation goals for wildlife populations and habitat restoration.
    2) Follow through on the campaign promise to earmark all hunting and fishing license fees to conservation
    a. Moderately increase fees to improve funding
    3) Find new funding sources for habitat and conservation.
    a. Outdoor equipment excise taxes or earmarked PST. Everyone should pay their share. In many US states taxes on the purchase of camping equipment, ski gear, boats, firearms, ammunition, fishing tackle, bikes, hiking gear, etc. go directly to conservation.
    b. Regulation and fees on resource extraction industry
    c. Tourism and other outdoor activities should contribute. Levies on ski passes, campground and park fees.
    4) Increase public awareness
    a. More provincial campgrounds. (Reservations are impossible to get these days)
    b. Awareness about where meat comes from and ethical-sustainable food sources.
    c. Hunters are your neighbours and your friends.
    d. Hunters are the number 1 champions for wildlife and habitat … and we pay $$$.

Last edited by AlexPdHJ; 11-24-2017 at 10:12 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: I had a good meeting with my MLA

Thank you for your efforts
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Good job thanks for the effort, great to know there are hunters out there taking this issue seriously... Keep us updated...

Hat off to you Sir. I especially agree with your first point of hunters been neighbours not poachers. Its a very tough arguement to explain how much we love these animals but the goal is to kill them? I truly commend your efforts. Hopefully they dont go unnoticed

Well organised, professional, respectful and giving her something positive to take away instead of just a pita. Well played sir. That is how its done. If half the hunters put in half this much effort we'd be golden.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Well Done...I guess its time for us hunters to follow your lead and get involved.

This is fantastic!

Very well done, to the critical points, with out being to long...

You have spent the time, effort, an excellent way forward!

Thx
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

I appreciate your efforts. Well done.

Excellent Job....great representation!!!

Thanks for speaking up, and posting about your activities. Inspirational.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?