Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chilliwack, I am out to get your blacktails!

Chilliwack, I am out to get your blacktails!

Don't worry: given my track record in other areas, they are probably safe

Getting out to my regular spot is going to be problematic this weekend with the highway issues and other obstacles so I am going to go poke around in Chilliwack for the day.

I have an area in mind, which I imagine is pounded by hunters, 4x4ers, maybe shooters, etc. We want to get up in the timber and creep around which will hopefully give us space. It will be nice checking out new timber, looking for BT sign in the "official" BT zone... feel tingly just thinking about it.

I don't remember who all the Chilliwack hunters are here. I was hoping I might be able to PM someone and talk about the area I am planning on heading to see if my expectations are realistic. If anyone knows Chilliwack pretty well (in which case they will know this area) and feel like answering a few questions, please let know.

Would be nice to see some posts about hunting in Chilliwack here as well. Just general stuff though so we don't blow up any spots.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Chilliwack, I am out to get your blacktails!

Never you mind!

My best advice is go where everyone isn't. My home watershed gets so much pressure but if you are willing to walk there is plenty of ground to cover. Unfortunately its thick and you have to be lucky or good. The deer are spread thin over a wide area.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanonthevedder View Post
    Never you mind!

My best advice is go where everyone isn't. My home watershed gets so much pressure but if you are willing to walk there is plenty of ground to cover. Unfortunately its thick and you have to be lucky or good. The deer are spread thin over a wide area.
    My plan for a hike tomorrow. Somewhere where others won't go. Caddisguy if ya want to tag up. Let me know.

Good luck. Looks like HWY 1 is partially open -- 1 lane in each direction. I can't get out this weekend due to being at the the Hop-Scotch festival in Van -- at least I know that is a guaranteed way to kill . . . some beer and scotch!

Highway 1 is probably the most minor of many obstacles to my other spot.

Pretty certain about heading out to for a day trip in Chilliwack tomorrow and I'm cheating a little bit by google-earth scouting and then looking for first hand accounts of an area rather than just heading in and checking it out trial-and-error style.

That said, my questions are mostly about how much of a zoo the area is, if I can camp there and whether or not my car will get broken into or shot up while I am gone lol

Not expecting to see a buck by any means, but it would be nice to check out some terrain, get in the timber and get onto some sign.

Thanks for the replies and PM's so far

I've been all over the chilliwack river valley. I've lived here my whole life. I've never been broken into or had my truck messed with while hunting or fishing. Also I've found the terrain too thick and steep for most, if your willing to get off the road and hike you won't have to worry about the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by PKernohan View Post
    I've been all over the chilliwack river valley. I've lived here my whole life. I've never been broken into or had my truck messed with while hunting or fishing. Also I've found the terrain too thick and steep for most, if your willing to get off the road and hike you won't have to worry about the crowds.
    That's what I like to hear. The place I normally hunt has a load of vehicle traffic, but I have never run into another hunter or even found much in the way of human sign in the timber (which is also thick and steep enough we have ropes to climb up some of the bluffs) so this all sounds typical / status quo.

I figure we'll take in a bunch of landscape, aim ourselves at something that looks worth checking out... might be a drainage, saddle, knob, funnel, ridge, whatever then hike up into the timber and scout around with a rifle in hand.

No expectations at all. We won't head in until after first light (will need to see) and probably out before last light. Would be funny if we came out with something though.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-24-2017 at 06:54 PM.

watch out for mountain bikers, out here they all wear antlers on thier helmets this time of year.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

Starting to look like a HBC meet and greet in the chilliwack mountains tomorrow. See you all out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispryn View Post
    Starting to look like a HBC meet and greet in the chilliwack mountains tomorrow. See you all out there.
    chilliwack is the new princeton