Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kifaru to Stone Glacier

Kifaru to Stone Glacier

Anyone make the jump from Kifaru to SG? Like the Kifaru I have a lot but the fit just isn’t perfect on me. Waist is too small for the belt (yes it’s their size small) so it can end up riding in the wrong spots. Curious if anyone has experience with both, or just with Stone Glcier

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kifaru to Stone Glacier

I bought a stone glacier this year and they are amazing. I gawked at the price of these things (and still don't think they're worth almost $900) but they are good packs. I don't think you'll find a better pack that weighs 4lbs.

Ive had it on 4-5 overnight hikes and 2 overnight hunting trips and it's worked very well. I have packed out 2 bucks this season with it and it is very comfortable. Once you get used to all the straps, loading the meat shelf is quite easy and fast.

But, i didn't pay anywhere close to the $900 brand new it would cost you to order one out of the USA now. Here's what i did: I bought a frame off a member here for $400. Then, i contacted Kurt at SG and asked if they had factory seconds or anything like that for the bags. Ended up getting a near-new 6200 archer bag with lid for it for $120us. The bag had a hole, which Kurt sewed up and put a SG patch over so you can't even tell there ever was a hole. Apparently someone was testing it out and put a hole with their broadhead arrow in it. Contacting him directly definitely paid off.

The pack is definitely light enough (and when cinched down small enough) to be used a day pack. I gave my Badlands day pack to my father as i might as well have my full pack to carry a deer out with me at all times and at 4lbs it's probably the same weight as my Badlands day pack was.

Now the bad: When in bivy mode it's very tedious to open the pack up, so you rely on the side zipper a lot. But even then, you have to undo 2 buckles to get to the stuff inside. Kind of annoying when you're pulling your spotter out multiple times during the day. Also .... it has no pockets. The lid kind of flops around too much so i don't use it. The side pockets are crap ... can't even hold a water bottle. No inside pockets. No hip belt pockets. Will definitely have to order some hip belt pockets for things like GPS or my point-and-shoot camera etc.

Good luck.
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 11-23-2017 at 11:03 PM.

I’m glad you mentioned the good and the bad. I actually left a message at SG a couple days ago but they haven’t gotten back to me. I imagine they’re busy in the field and with Black Friday.
    thinking of the sky 5900, seems to have easy access and a reasonable size.
    twoseven0 did your lid come with the bag when you ordered it? Also, what’s your waist size / belt combo?
    Thanks!

I have the Talus 6900 and am very happy with it. I did a ten day back pack hunt and it fit everything I needed. The 6900 has the side pouches and the optional rifle bearer worked great. I am a size 34 waist and the large belt fit me with still a little room to adjust smaller and plenty to go larger. Very comfortable pack. I have two optional hip belt pockets which will hold gps/camera/range finder, I have the optional water bottle pouch, and the inside swing pockets that are great for organizing. The pack comes with a pouch on each side which will fit a one litre water bottle.

Send an email instead. A person can answer your email at midnight, whereas they sure aren't going to give you a call back at that time. Sky 5900 is the bag i really wanted, but when you're asking for factory seconds at a deep discount you can't really afford to be too picky on what's available.

I think the 5900 will be a good pack. I have the 6200 but to be honest when i packed up for my 5 day Alpine hunt in early September the pack still stayed in bivy mode and didn't have the lid on. I think that even in bivy mode it was something like 75L which is plenty. I have a feeling i probably won't ever need the lid, but i'm going to hang on to it. Maybe need it in a late season backpack trip when you're bringing extra winter clothing etc.

yes, the bag came with the lid because i asked for it. They are not normally supplied with the lid.

I'm 6'5" 210lb and have a 35" waist. The Frame i bought had a medium belt. It fits me fine but if i was 36" or above i would DEFINITELY go with a large belt. However, due to my torso length, the shoulder straps are almost maxed out on their adjustment.

Exo Mtn Gear
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I also have the Sky Talus 6900 and have no complaints. I purchased it for a 9 day August stone sheep hunt this season and it performed flawlessly. Plenty of room for the 9 days, as light weight a pack as they come, fit was awesome and customer service from SG was second to none as I did talk to Kurt when trying to decide between two different models of bag. I'm 5'10", 180#, 33 waist. I have the large belt and there is still room for adjustment to go tighter. I have the one piece belt as I purchased just before they began offering the three piece belt, but have tried the three piece belt as well and saw (felt) no difference.

Hank, Call Kifaru and discuss your fit issue with the belt/pack. They have an excellent customer service track record. Bet they can get you a belt that fits.......but also sounds like you may need to make adjustments on the rest of the pack to optimize fit too. They can walk you through it on the phone. Worth a try before buying another pack in my opinion. Today may not be a good day for the the phone lesson with it being Black Friday sales day and in the middle of a US holiday. Good luck with it.

I have both and can say they are both excellent options but I prefer the weight and simplicity of the SG. I will be writing a review shortly on the difference of the new x-curve frame vs the old krux.

EXO mountain gear check them out. Going to sell my Kuiu and up-grade