Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Podcast topic ideas? Havalon knife raffle

Re: Podcast topic ideas? Havalon knife raffle

Hi, thanks for posting this question. It will be nice to have a Canadian hunting podcast that's not focussed on New Mexico elk draws Coues Deer and prairie Whiteys.

A few few topic suggestions...
    ....how to learn an area to hunt it effectively
    ...how to hunt ( not driving around , like a game of life or death "Battleships").... Have guests share experiences on "how"
    ...the best road trip hunting question ever.... What is the perfect vehicle / combo for hunting and fishing in BC?
    ...interview Srupp, Deaddog and other quality contributors - including Steve Isdahl ( pro guide 66)
    ...how to ask a farm owner for permission.
    ...Do this live if you can.... Put a region / a species /and a month in three different hats. Draw 1 from each. Discuss ...how best to hunt that animal at that time
    ...best places to get 1 last hunt in ( ie how to hunt Bowen or other island late in the year without getting chased with picket signs)
    ...i don't have a dog... How to hunt waterfowl without them
    ...i don't have a dog.... How to hunt upland birds and succeed
    ...a discussion on animal retrieval... There's a guy I see in Quesnel every year who hunts alone and only wants to shoot a " high side moose" .... Meaning one on the high side of the road!
    ...Bush repairs when your "x" breaks down.... Starter, alternator, flat
    ...tree stand placement when winds shift between dawn and 9 am , or from 330- 430 ( this just happened to me while hunting in 3-30)
    ...how to properly glass so you can clear an area and move on
    ...how to find a new hunting partner
    ....take a kid hunting stories ( we all need to do this)

i'll stop there, I have a podcast of my own so I know how it can be to come up w topics. I hope this helps.
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander Hunting View Post
    We interviewed the developer of the I-Hunter app a while back. He's hunted in Scandenavian countries and explained their party system. It's like a club and you all hunt together. And they put lots of meat on the ground quickly, then all split it.
    If this was to become the practice here I'd give up hunting in a heartbeat.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by floden View Post
    Hi, thanks for posting this question. It will be nice to have a Canadian hunting podcast that's not focussed on New Mexico elk draws Coues Deer and prairie Whiteys.

...how to hunt ( not driving around , like a game of life or death "Battleships").... Have guests share experiences on "how"
    ...the best road trip hunting question ever.... What is the perfect vehicle / combo for hunting and fishing in BC?
    ...interview Srupp, Deaddog and other quality contributors - including Steve Isdahl ( pro guide 66)
    ...Do this live if you can.... Put a region / a species /and a month in three different hats. Draw 1 from each. Discuss ...how best to hunt that animal at that time
    ...best places to get 1 last hunt in ( ie how to hunt Bowen or other island late in the year without getting chased with picket signs)
    ...a discussion on animal retrieval... There's a guy I see in Quesnel every year who hunts alone and only wants to shoot a " high side moose" .... Meaning one on the high side of the road!
    ...tree stand placement when winds shift between dawn and 9 am , or from 330- 430 ( this just happened to me while hunting in 3-30)

i'll stop there, I have a podcast of my own so I know how it can be to come up w topics. I hope this helps.
    Thanks,

All great suggestions, what’s your podcast btw

Hi , my podcast is in a different industry , sorry if there was confusion.
    thanks!

I heard a great podcast regarding hunting in grizzly country. The guest actually contracted out to a lot of Alberta oil companies to teach employees on how to be bear aware. Some great tips. With him being a Alberta resident it might resident. Rich outdoors had him on I believe. It was a summer episode.

I'd tune in again to get more details on our area more specifically and more first hand experiences shared. I think rich outdoors was more 'academic' and less practical. Worth a refresher.

Hmm all great suggestions..one area that year after year has not really been a dressed and is critically important.
    Wilderness survival first aid..what to do..what not to do..lots of well intentioned individuals also defeat the first rule..do no harm, don't make it worse.
    My neighbor Peter just died while trying to get his deer to the truck...perhaps nothing would have changed this.
    38 years as a Paramedic for the Province of BC I have seen a lot of situations go horribly wrong....fast.
    Proper planning, gear, medical kit that is practical enough to actually be taken along.
    Proper decision making in when to call in medivac for extrication"
    We are blessed with some top notch advanced life support paramedics on this site..far more qualified than myself..Tim..John..come to mind immediately .
    We all have that superman thought process..it can't ever happen to me..or our hunting group.
    I am reminded .l painfully about big boar. .just last fall...
    Just a suggestion
    Cheers
    Steven

Over 30 plus years amongst grizzlies. .moose strategies..all can make even the well seasoned veterans learn something. Lol all the 4 guys on this year's moose hunt had never seen things done quite the way we proceeded, eyes were opened to additional ideas, strategies ..all great topics..but life itself is most important..
    Last edited by srupp; 11-25-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks Floden.
    If you email us these suggestions, and title the email "wild meat". We can add you to the knife draw.

Quote Originally Posted by floden View Post

Thanks,

This is a great topic idea. Reminder to all of us to keep ourselves prepared.

If you email us this suggestion and title the email "wild meat", you'll be entered into the draw.

highlanderhuntingpodcast@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm all great suggestions..one area that year after year has not really been a dressed and is critically important.
    Wilderness survival first aid..what to do..what not to do..lots of well intentioned individuals also defeat the first rule..do no harm, don't make it worse.
    My neighbor Peter just died while trying to get his deer to the truck...perhaps nothing would have changed this.
    38 years as a Paramedic for the Province of BC I have seen a lot of situations go horribly wrong....fast.
    Proper planning, gear, medical kit that is practical enough to actually be taken along.
    Proper decision making in when to call in medivac for extrication"
    We are blessed with some top notch advanced life support paramedics on this site..far more qualified than myself..Tim..John..come to mind immediately .
    We all have that superman thought process..it can't ever happen to me..or our hunting group.
    I am reminded .l painfully about big boar. .just last fall...
    Just a suggestion
    Cheers
    Steven

Over 30 plus years amongst grizzlies. .moose strategies..all can make even the well seasoned veterans learn something. Lol all the 4 guys on this year's moose hunt had never seen things done quite the way we proceeded, eyes were opened to additional ideas, strategies ..all great topics..but life itself is most important..

I am a big fan of your podcast! Here are my suggestions:

1. Wild game cooking ( I really liked the episode with Hank Shaw), more of these would be great
    2. Wilderness survival (like Srupp suggested): essential parts of a backpack survival kit, tips of navigation, what to do if you get lost, how to set up an emergency camp etc. Perhaps you can have someone like Steven as a guest? He has lots of experience and also has helped many people on this forum.
    3. Hunting birds (upland and waterfowl) and what we need to get started
    4. What to do in the offseason (health and fitness, scouting for next season, making the freezer stock last)

Thanks guys!

Will do thanks