Thread: Caribou habitat

Caribou habitat

So I'm planning a fly in for caribou next year in the northern part of region 6. I figure the last week of August, first week of Sept. I've got a few lakes in mind, accessed either from Dease Lake or Watson Lake but would like some advice from anyone else who's planned this sort of trip. What do you look for when looking at topo maps/google earth in regard to caribou habitat for that time of the year? I don't need any lake names or locations, half the fun is figuring that out for myself and I have done my own research on the animal itself so I have an idea of what to look for, but more information is always good.
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Caribou habitat

Maybe ask the pilot youre wanting to fly out with ..They are pretty knowledgeable..

Extensive areas of connected alpine. Moderate terrain. You won't see them in quite as steep terrain as sheep and goat, but close.

You'll see this written about caribou: "The caribou are where they are." I always thought this was a stupid statement until I hunted them a few times. There doesn't always seem to be much rhyme or reason to a lot of their movements, and move they do. If you see Caribou moving, don't even attempt a stalk as they won't be there for long, and you can never catch up to them.

Tip for when looking at places to go to. Unless you plan on spike camping on top choose an area with a relatively small hike up each day. Having to go up 600m+ each days sucks, especially by day 5 and 6.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    Extensive areas of connected alpine. Moderate terrain. You won't see them in quite as steep terrain as sheep and goat, but close.

You'll see this written about caribou: "The caribou are where they are." I always thought this was a stupid statement until I hunted them a few times. There doesn't always seem to be much rhyme or reason to a lot of their movements, and move they do. If you see Caribou moving, don't even attempt a stalk as they won't be there for long, and you can never catch up to them.
    Good tip, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by geo guy View Post
    Tip for when looking at places to go to. Unless you plan on spike camping on top choose an area with a relatively small hike up each day. Having to go up 600m+ each days sucks, especially by day 5 and 6.
    The more likely lake I'm looking at is about 2-3km from where I want to be, so I'd probably spike out up there.

Caribou feed faster than most can walk..they are particularly finicky eaters..travel many kilometers each day..like high rounded hills..connected for many kilometers..30 or so..record books give historical harvests..good area to start..
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Caribou feed faster than most can walk..they are particularly finicky eaters..travel many kilometers each day..like high rounded hills..connected for many kilometers..30 or so..record books give historical harvests..good area to start..
    Steven
    B&C record book now in the mail...Thanks. And for the terrain info.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Caribou feed faster than most can walk..they are particularly finicky eaters..travel many kilometers each day..like high rounded hills..connected for many kilometers..30 or so..record books give historical harvests..good area to start.
    Steven
    If you can understand caribou language, think about this one.

At the end of the day, the caribou says this to himself. "I wonder why I went this way to hunt?"
    In other words, they are fast walkers, but poor thinkers.
    So don't wear yourself out trying to keep up to them.
    Last edited by ve7iuq; 11-25-2017 at 11:38 AM.