Thread: Fraser Valley

Fraser Valley

Any Fraser Valley hunters want to share their expertise on targeting late season blacktails in the local hills???? I haven’t had much action through November rut in areas I was catching deer on trail cams earlier. Any particular elevation to scope out or certain types of terrain??? Always gathering intel and learning from mistakes for next season, but there’s still a few weeks left in reg 2.

I live in Deroche and have focused all of my time around the area this season. Lots of hiking around Norrish, Chehalis, Hemlock. Getting way away from the roads, off the beaten path. It has paid off with regard to seeing sign. Tracks, does, fresh droppings, deer on the cams, but can’t seem to find anything physically while I’m out there. I know they’re know as “ghost of the forest” but there must be some key piece of info I’m missing to capitalize on my findings.........
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fraser Valley

I think they are way up high still. Missed a chance on a nice buck 3 weeks ago due to a rookie mistake while tracking in snow at 2600ft. Oh well, lesson learned. Still a few weeks left to make it happen. Keep at it.

Out of all the things you’ve mentioned seeing have you found any rubs...

Newb to the valley, well just barely the valley .. out in Hope. I've been like a kid in a candy store and drawn further afield after muleys so little to offer on blacktails here yet. But, I have logged my time in the rainforests of the north island trying year after year for a real nice adult buck. I'm still in therapy over it actually. haha

I dunno Justin you've found the first big piece of the puzzle - fresh active sign. Especially if there's poop around indicates they're feeding and relatively relaxed. Sit on those does man a buck or two will come to them its just a matter of time. Now will he be nocturnal? Will he be so stealth you'll never see him? Strong possibility This time of year I've had a couple chances and it was bumping them in their beds up hill within a km of flats where does were hanging out. Never had a clue they were there, just still hunting looking for sign and by chance jumped them. Never got a shot they were head down and into the jungle at warp 10. I hate them! lol Just gotta keep yourself in high percentage areas for as much time as you can. Keep the odds as best you can and bring your patience. With all this rain the next week a big help in hiding your scent a bit and hiding your noise quite a bit. Stay on those does but not in their face so you bust them. Work the fringes, sit a lot, listen and wait.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    Out of all the things you’ve mentioned seeing have you found any rubs...
    For what it's worth I was out last weekend for a half day trip and found fresh sign including rubs in an area that was only 500m elevation. So not all are high up.

I was finding the sign to be concentrated @ 500 m and lower, also in thick mixed forest, didn't find much recent sign in straight conifer stands.

All the blacktail deer left the fraser valley for sunny pastures ����

Always remember the bucks will come to where the does are. Never do the Does go looking for Bucks.
    Know where the Does hang out and plague those areas. Sooner or later you will see bucks.

Will send message on facebook

And for everyone else.....the hills have eys.......just happen to be sitting in a pick up hahahha....not all deer are up high.....im learning to hunt areas that dont get hunted....dosnt matter elevation....I dont think they run off altitude....I think its more preditor pressure that runs there clock.