Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shulaps range

Shulaps range

Thinking about hunting the shulaps next season how is it? I gather in the past was excellent and now still good if you dont mind working hard. Big mule deer, sheep leh, goats nearby. what about moose? Any successes this season

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Shulaps range

I hunted this range quite a bit in the 90s. Usually sept 1 hunts but did some November hunts as well. I quit hunting there because it was getting increasingly harder to find mule deer, and, I discovered the joys of the Alaska highway early hunts. The beauty of the shulaps is second to none and I miss it. I still camp there almost every july 1 weekend. I took my second best buck, about a 170 muley in this country. I saw goats on occasion but never saw a ram in the shulaps. I did however see them in neighboring mountains. I keep meaning to do another sept 1 hunt there. Go give it a try. Impressive country!

Beautiful and rugged
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Hunted there once on a horse back trip, so far my one and only horse trip, saw a few nice bucks but chose not shoot as the distance for me was too far and very windy, never saw any other animals except daily and nightly visits from a Grizzly which I am sure would have got our deer if we had shot one.
    We camped above Serpentine Lake.
    What I did notice was lots mountain bike tracks

Pemby_mess Guest

IMO it's one of the most intoxicating mountain ranges of BC. I don't know what it is exactly but I find the shulaps magnificent by any measure. If you're willing to commit a chunk of time and hoof it up and down some pretty rugged terrain, you should be able to connect with a really nice buck.

Its a shame that it's quite heavily used by motorized traffic - only con

^^^You mean abused by motorized vehicles.

Shulaps are nice yes they hold deer and sheep but there are better areas near by

Still worth hunting just need to find the pockets

I have been trying to find an Alpine area to backpack into for Mule Deer for a couple years. Where are these closer areas?

This area is not what it used to be. Many hikers, sightseers with their dogs and big groups of dirt bikes and cross country mountain bikers ripping through. The place is being advertised for backcountry mountain biking now. Its crawling with grizzly bear too. Every rock in every basin flipped over and marmot holes dug out. Saw a ton of grizzly and almost no deer last few years in there. There was an incident last year towards the bottom a big grizzly came into a camp multiple times after being chased off and stole a hanging deer out of a camp. Its a hell of a hike in and a huge pissoff to see large groups of dirtbikes going through basin to basin knowling trashing a no motor area! Beautiful terrain though.

9 mile ridge is a good deer area ..Also holds sheep..Dennis