Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad, but not giving up yet . . . Need advice :/

Re: Sad, but not giving up yet . . . Need advice :/

Problem #1. You passed on the little white tailed buck. He would have been good in the freezer and on the table.

scored yesterday
    Last edited by butthead; 11-26-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Hey vfx. Keep at it. There's certainly an element of luck, but as others have said you really need to get to know and understand the animals and their habitats intimately. For instance lots of people hunt alpine animals and never succeed because they don't understand what makes them tick. It's the same thing with the moose that you've been trying to track down. We spent a lot of time hunting November moose with no success until we figured out what type of terrain and habitat they were gravitating towards. Since then, it has been easy ( relatively speaking of course). Also, when I hear of people talking about how much they've been driving around, there is potential that the wrong approach is being taken. Learn as much as you can about the animals and their habitat, then get out of the truck and track them down.

Now, this is just my experience and may differ from others, but I have never found any kind of consistent success while driving. Don't be discouraged, and keep at it and you'll find success.

Cheers
    TJ

Sounds to me like you are getting chances so you must be doing something right. Eventually those chances get resolved in your favour.

I haven't shot so much as a grouse this year but I've really enjoyed a few hunts, especially my LEH moose hunt up in PG at the end of September. So much more fun when the animals are moving and you get the odd chance.

I was disappointed without meat in the freezer but if you ask me if I got good value for the money I spent hunting I would definitely say yes. I hope you feel the same way.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

come on vfx man..

you have been trying hard.. this year numbers are lower and a lot of people are struggling...
    i know you put in the effort...

dont give up yet..

those elk pics are a trophy all itself...

ps whitetails are in full rut this week...

Lesson one: Don’t pass on a legal animal if meat is the goal. If you want more than meat in the freezer you have to be prepared for long spans in between animals.

Lesson two: Forget antlers, fur is where it’s at. Hunt and eat bear, you’ll never starve because there’s so many of them!

Other than that it sounds like you are doing it right.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

I just Glazed over your post but saw this ....

"missed a nice broadside 4x4 because I stupidly didn’t test shoot my hunting buddies back-up gun he loaned to me"

"Now it’s Nov. 1st and the any buck season is wrapped. Tried a new areas and saw 4 deer on the edge of a cut about 200 yards out. Could tell the one was a buck, but could not get a clear view to count the tines. He stood motionless watching us from behind the brushy tree for 15 minutes. Was getting impatient and dropped my guard - then he moved - yep was a legal 4x4, but no time to react."

"Saw a small WT buck 325 yards out, but he was a smaller 2x3 and decided he needed to grow some more."

what is happening is you are making small mistakes, you are learning from them all.. you most likely do not have a mentor that is a veteran. basically you are learning the hard way, which is ok.
    mistakes like these are common. Hell a new kid I am helping made a grave simple mistake this year with me that cost a monster Island deer,, he had his scope covers on when he shouldered the rifle,, the time it tool to drop the gun and flip them off was the time it took for the deer to run....

It will take time for you to get over the simple mistakes that cost you animals, you have posted 3 animals and you have made mistakes and choices on them.
    The other thing is maybe you are hunting places that don't have as many deer as you think...

Find good ground and get control. It takes time, im not trying to put you down I am just pointing out that you have had animals infront of you.. after that ....its you.
    Good luck, keep at it don't get down it all takes time...

spend your coin on fuel in summer learning the roads, ins and outs of spots, etc. hike for berries, hike for fishing in those lakes. youll gain a deeper knowledge of your spots and then wont be wasting timedriving and farting around when it counts.
    perseverance pays off bud. hardly over now, get out there and get yer boots dirty/snowy!

Thanks everyone. All good points.

Guess when I see all of the harvest photos on here, I was feeling like I was the only one missing out.

Looking back, there have been opportunities . . . but decisions were made and situations occurred.

Just don't think I can get back up to the stopping grounds this year.

-VFX

Well, if you want to join me I go out for ducks around the lower mainland. Send me a PM if you are interested.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."