Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on attractant

Re: Advice on attractant

my wife got video footage of a muley doe eating a trout...so go figure?

I'm confused. In a sporting goods shop recently the owner had corn for sale ,but only in Alberta could it be used.
    He was told baiting is illegal in B.C. In regon8 an X conservation officer said its illegal to bait? No we're does it state that in the regs or it not clear? Still trying to find a co officer to let me know?...

scottym - It is 100% legal to bait deer in BC. Read the regs, it is in there.
    I can smell the spring bear and ferel pig bacon jalapeņo Swiss smokies already �� "bucks&trucks"

Quote Originally Posted by scottym View Post
    I'm confused. In a sporting goods shop recently the owner had corn for sale ,but only in Alberta could it be used.
    He was told baiting is illegal in B.C. In regon8 an X conservation officer said its illegal to bait? No we're does it state that in the regs or it not clear? Still trying to find a co officer to let me know?...
    page 14 in regs. Says you can't hunt bear with bait

page 3 has definition of bait
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Link to Hunting Synopsis

Look on page 22 of the pdf
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Cool Re: Advice on attractant

In terms of drawing the deer in...

Dabs of peanut butter works well to initially draw them to site.

Think salt in the late winter and through early summer.
    It can be purchased relatively cheap (water softener salts) at places like Canuck Tire.
    While it doesn't hurt to keep salt on site all year, the draw to it appears to subside a tad by mid-summer and into fall (at least for me).

About mid summer, add COB to the site. COB is rolled corn, oats & barley soaked in molasses. Available at most feed stores.
    The deer WILL become used to, if not addicted to it in short order, so you will need to replace fairly frequently if not using a feeder.
    Be consistent! They will respond much better if you keep the supplies up.
    Downside is bears also happen to love this stuff. If they move in, consider an alternative as mentioned above.

It sounds like you have the "perfect" set-up location. Small clearings well within timber, treed on all sides, with existing trails is about as good as it gets. Should allow for setting up your bait station in the center of said small clearings, and locations for blind / tree stand placement back inside the edge of the timber.

Trail cams are worth their weight in gold for these kind of operations.

Best of Luck! Looking Forward to hearing of your results...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Be wary of corn as in the winter deer can die of acidosis. Not sure how much it would take to kill them but I tend to stay away from it all together

I've taken peanut butter jars cut the bottom off, screw the lid to a tree and put the jar back onto the lid. Had over 250 pictures of a deer with his head buried in that jar for over 2 hours lol.

COB works good too but as mentioned you need to constantly keep the supply stocked or they lose interest in that location and will move on.
    Good Old Outdoors "I was so puckered up down betweenst my butt cheeks I could have made a world class diamond that Beyonce herself couldn't even handle."

After a lot of research and emails, baiting is legal

Quote Originally Posted by scottym View Post
    After a lot of research and emails, baiting is legal
    Lol, thanks tips! You could have saved yourself some time by just reading the regs like everyone told you to do....