Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Advice on attractant

Re: Advice on attractant

Get range salt in 50 lbs bags. It is fine salt in either selenium (reddish pink) or cobalt (blue), find a place that allows you to place your camera approx. 30' away facing north. Remove all the ground duff down to mineral soil. Spread about 2" of the salt over the exposed earth and work it in with a rake. Add more until there is more salt than earth to about 4" deep. If there is water near by, add water to the mix. Place a little unsweetened grape koolaid over the mixture and leave alone for a few weeks. When you come back, add a mixture of range salt and pure water softener salt (at least 99.7+ pure) CT now had pure salt in crystals that work well. Cover your lick, switch the card, check your batteries and enjoy the surprises on your card. Repeat every couple weeks until you get a good lick established, then you add just once a month. This is the mixture I have been using for the last 5 years.

Once the bears go to bed, I will move my spot to an area near by that I have pre scouted that allows me to set up a ground blind with shooting lanes that allow me to hunt either prevailing wind. I will now bait with pure barley, which I have found is preferred over oats. I add dried alfalfa pellets or cubes until the snow falls, then just stay on the barley. If you get animals showing up regularly, be prepared to visit the site at least twice a week as they will go through 100 lbs or more of barley in 5-7 days, and if the elk show up, 1-2 days!! I buy 30 bags of barley a year and have run out by the end of the season. This year it has been 6 bags a week between two spots. But I am tagged out now, so the program slows down as I don't bait/feed after the season due to creating a pred trap.

Wanted to try the PB thing this year, just never got around to it. For any grain, COB, PB etc., the bears will find it and they will eat and sleep on your site until it is cleaned up, no ungulates will show up while the bears hang out!

Pm me if you have any questions!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Re: Advice on attractant

I use the apple flavor salt blocks from Cambodian tire and the deer and elk seem to really enjoy it , Got a tonne of pics of them working the block .