Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on attractant

Advice on attractant

So I'm prepping (already) to try attractant for my stand next year...never used attractant, or a stand before. Wondering where to put it down? Here's what I know so far: There's deer, both whitetail and mules, but haven't put up my cams yet to determine patterns or behaviours. I have a nice little opening (a couple actually, not far apart) with a well used trail in and that's treed on all sides. Would you put the attractant down under a tree, in the open, the same place all the time, or just spread it out wherever?

My thought is to spread some corn all about, with some peanut butter on a couple trees and some attractant of some sort under a tree or two that I want them to frequent, within my shooting lane. I'll use my bow as well.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Advice on attractant

Himalayan pink salt.

as far as bait goes, I find sticking to as close to a relevant existing food source is probably best. I don't beleive animals are any different than us in the fact that unless someone showed us to eat something we probably wouldn't bother unless under extreme conditions. I have tried corn with no results, my guess is because its not an existing food source for them. Hay and oats and other types of feed used for cows and horses in the area work great though!
    I also feel that unless you are in the mecca of agriculture like areas in the praries, pockets in BC, and a lot of what we see on TV shows, that patterning deer isn't going to happen either. I have lots of Tcams out, I find that most of my pictures of good bucks are random and they travel as they please, even the whities. With food sources being "the bush" and "the forest" its hard to pin them down to areas unless you can find scrapes or other things they themselves have created. Yes the WT live in smaller areas, mulies are way more random, but still I haven't yet anyway located trails that say they bed here, feed here and if I sit this spot for a week I am guaranteed to see this deer.
    Put your feed in a spot that they feel safe and that you have a shooting late too.

WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Sounds pretty logical, and like I should bring a big lunch and plan to spend a lot of time waiting! Which also sounds alright to me....I can rest up for late season in the high country.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

It isn't legal to bait for deer .!,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by scottym View Post
    You might want to read the BC Hunting Regs again.

A salt lick and oats always worked for me this time of year.

I used a syrup corn feed mix and had excellent results in reg 3

Quote Originally Posted by scottym View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    You might want to read the BC Hunting Regs again.

Baiting is legal for deer
    Last edited by todbartell; 11-20-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    he said it isn't illegal.

Baiting is legal
    my response was to scottym as quoted (It isn't legal to bait for deer .!,,,,,,,,,,) , yes baiting deer IS legal in BC was my point.
    Last edited by btridge; 11-20-2017 at 11:11 AM.