Thread: are duck nocturnal

are duck nocturnal

getting to end of the season,,days are getting shorter,,i noutice ducks are coming to eat on the field very late ,,kind of almost too late..i can hear them feeding on the field in total darkness..wich is not legal shooting time anymore..honkers are too late eaters..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: are duck nocturnal

in my experience that only happens when there is lots of lights (full moonish times) or when there is an ungodly amount of water in a fields. Ducks almost always roost/go to water shortly after dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Here inland they go farmers field in almost total darkness,,,no moonlight,,no water on the field,,,maybe hunting pressure reason for that?
    They are smarter than they looks

There was a place in the Fraser Valley that when you turned on to a certain road your head lights would shine out to a corn stubble, and the ground was alive with ducks feeding, two hours before legal shooting light!

Of course they come in to the fields at last light. Hence the term "Night Flight"
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

They usually seem to finish flying 31 minutes before day light and start flying 31 minutes after daylight

During the migration I've heard flocks of geese over head at midnight. And Widgeon. They're up high but their flying. I'm not sure you could classify them as nocturnal but they can clearly fly at night. I use to raise homing pigeons and belonged to the North Road Pigeon club. Some of those old Italian guys swore their birds flew constantly, night and day, from the release point to the coup. This based on the distance from the release point to home and the time it took them. But pigeons don't fly at night.....unless they have to.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU