Thread: 1971 4 Horse Power Johnson Outboard Model 4W71D

1971 4 Horse Power Johnson Outboard Model 4W71D

I just picked up this little engine and I was tinkering with it. The steering function was seized but with a little slow persuasion it came unstuck. It is still quite stiff and was wondering if there was anything in the line of lubrication I could use to make it a bit easier to turn. Also I have been looking on line for a manual for the motor and I have been unable to find a source to download one. Any help would be muchly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 1971 4 Horse Power Johnson Outboard Model 4W71D

Definitely clean and lubricate the hell out of it, especially if it was used in salt water. The steering system should be greased at the two pivot bearing nipples that the motor rotates on. Any good quality waterproof grease will suffice. Remove the hood and take note of anything that turns, moves or slides and has been previously lubricated and apply some spray lubricant, such as "deep creep" or "fluid film". Remove excess spatter.
    This motor isn't very fancy and might lack the tensioning bolt that the larger models have. It's to customize the stiffness that the tiller handle offers. See if your motor might have it on the prop shaft housing. You might find a downloadable manual online, however it may not be specifically for your year or model. These little motors didn't change a lot every year, so a year or two either way shouldn't matter much. Good luck!
    They'll never end hunting...may make it illegal, but they'll never really kill that way of life!