Thread: blacktail hunting...they started logging my hunting spot.

blacktail hunting...they started logging my hunting spot.

I haven't been to my local spot for a couple weeks now and today seemed like the perfect crappy day to head out. Once I got there I realized that over the past week or two they started logging in my area. I hunt in region two and found a sweet little timbered area that I have put a lot of time into this year. So needless to say I was a bit bummed this morning. So my question is, has anyone run into this situation before and have you found it to still be productive while they are logging? any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: blacktail hunting...they started logging my hunting spot.

Not wise to be hunting near active logging for a bunch of reasons I'd leave it be and come back and scout it out after hunting season when they're done and get a plan for next year, the deer won't go far.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Could be a good opportunity as the deer will bottleneck into unlogged riparian corridors in the cut. Keep an eye on it next spring/summer. The deer will still be there.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

If the area is posted as 'active logging, no unauthorized access' apparently you can be charged.
    If you know an area contains workers actively logging etc it's wise not to hunt there.
    I've asked crew bosses for permission to bow hunt and have been allowed to do so provided I
    keep away from all moving equipment. I have a brother that used to run such a crew and he
    was always seeing deer, moose, and bear poking about the downed trees, fires, and even parked
    equipment.

they have wrecked a few of my honey holes buy logging them.
    hasn't been the same sence

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I will be heading to a new area tomorrow. Too bad but at least I know everything for next year and spring bear. Plus its always exciting finding new spots and setting up the cams.

So a bit of an update. I went out today to try and find a new spot, saw a bit of sign but no rubs or nothing very fresh. It didn't help that the snow limited me to certain areas. I did speak with the logging company and they will be there until the end of the season. He did say I was more than welcome to keep hunting there just to let someone on site know while I'm walking though(I walk the logging road for 1-2 km then head into the timber). Since I was unsuccessful finding another area that I liked to hunt today and prime time hunting coming to an end in the coming weeks should I hunt my spot just further up to get away from the noise? Has anyone had success or even seen fresh sign in there general area even with the noise of cutting and trucks? There are a few bowls and gulleys that while you are in them I cant hear any noise from there machinery. Thoughts?