Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the WKBGTA proposing a bag limit of 1 elk or 1 moose not both in BC

Re: Why is the WKBGTA proposing a bag limit of 1 elk or 1 moose not both in BC

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    I felt that there were many good points brought to everyones attention, and I am not sure how long it took you to upload your caption but what ever floats your boat Pat.

Habitat loss should be front and center along with road density and proper monitoring of wildlife. Pushing for adequate funding is the only way to start the ball rolling.
    Continued abuse of wildlife without any conservative thinking will not aid a thing, and if you think it will keep the hunter numbers up, good luck. Resident hunters are getting
    tired of spending money on tag soup.

It is so amazing how not so long ago your little group had everyone believing that our wildlife populations were holding there own and then all of a sudden the cry for funding fires up.
    The only ones who have there ears plugged are you guys, hunters have been telling the story for some time, but I think back then you called it Coffee Shop Talk.

If anyone should be accused of Data Mining, it's you guys, but carry on living the dream.
    What's the solution bownut?
    Bitching online?

Tell me your plan and how you would pay for it.
    Everyone has endless ignorant and biased opinions.

Things are in the shitter.
    What's the plan?
    How do we pay for it?
    All ears......

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

[QUOTE=Ourea;1954877]What's the solution bownut?
    Bitching online?

(no ill will with that comment, we are all partners in this deal.)

What's the plan?
    How do we pay for it?
    All ears......

I say that with respect.
    WE ARE ALL concerned about wildlife.
    Management/regulation will fix f*ck all.
    We need $$$ and public support, both hunters and none hunters.

FYI....
    I am with no organization or group.
    I just try and make a difference knowing how to play the game at high level.

OUR messaging and voice is getting ears.
    Support the message.
    Keep it consistent.

Wildlife funding.
    Wildlife funding.
    Wildlife funding.
    Wildlife funding.

Get behind it.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    We should close cat hunting forever. Pursuit too.

You know, because it's too late.

You might want to look for allies in this fight with this government - do you think your cat hunting will survive Horgan's attack? You'd be drunk if you did.

Fact remains, the aggregate bag limit for elk and moose was established when GOS was liberal and long in the Kootenays, and when we had 174,000 hunters instead of 100,000 hunters.

FYI - 1980/81 regs for region 4 Kootenays:

Moose - Sep 10 - Oct 5 for moose with at least one branched antler. Some areas ran to Oct 31. Some areas had GOS cows in October, some areas were GOS bulls until Nov 20
    Elk - Sep 10 - Oct 31 or Nov 5 for elk with at least 3 points on one antler
    Bag limit - aggregate bag limit for elk and moose is one

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/acat/...a6df6c2851.pdf
    Wow you sure get off track maybe trying to distract from the point that moose season is now longer with many MUs from sept 1st to nov 15.
    Looking through the old regs been lots of season changes, so were any of them science based, when they went from 1 moose or elk to 1 of each was that a science based decision.

[QUOTE=Ourea;1954885]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    What's the solution bownut?
    Bitching online?

(no ill will with that comment, we are all partners in this deal.)

What's the plan?
    How do we pay for it?
    All ears......

I say that with respect.
    WE ARE ALL concerned about wildlife.
    Management/regulation will fix f*ck all.
    We need $$$ and public support, both hunters and none hunters.

FYI....
    I am with no organization or group.
    I just try and make a difference knowing how to play the game at high level.

OUR messaging and voice is getting ears.
    Support the message.
    Keep it consistent.

Wildlife funding.
    Wildlife funding.
    Wildlife funding.
    Wildlife funding.

Get behind it.
    You keep saying this and yes we need wildlife funding, and maybe you have said it some where else and I missed it,
    but when you say our message and voice is getting ears, which groups are you taking about. How can one support or
    get behind it if one does not who your talking about. Is there some secret group that is doing this or is it being kept
    quit.

You must be reading me wrong, I am all for the funding. The States are getting the funding from somewhere maybe we should try to push some of their ideas?
    Rec. Taxes going straight into our projects would be a good start.
    Canada is in a crisis at this time with all the drugs on the streets and the lime light isn't pointing in our direction right now and I can't see it in the near future.
    Too bad because I feel there is some good ideas brewing, and I am worried that the burn out rate will soon over take the groups on the front lines.

A quality outside Wildlife Manager should shoulder up with us and look at it from outside the box. The cost may go down in the long run.
    Being conservative until we get the wheels in motion can't hurt.

I guess I will have to start a bottle drive.

I am working on some shit as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    The dedicated funding model recently received support in the budget for 2018.
    This is a huge step forward since all parties agreed to this BEFORE the provincial election.

Moving forward in the right direction.

SSS
    Very good news.....finally we may see this thing turn around..

[QUOTE=LBM;1954914]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post

You keep saying this and yes we need wildlife funding, and maybe you have said it some where else and I missed it,
    but when you say our message and voice is getting ears, which groups are you taking about. How can one support or
    get behind it if one does not who your talking about. Is there some secret group that is doing this or is it being kept
    quit.
    Thus the problem.
    Ignorance.

Many have the ear of Gov and wildlife management.
    A fix is in play.
    Hopefully it works out.

One thing is for sure...it shouldn't just be hunters coughing up all the funding.
    Yup, hikers and mountain bikers, dirt bikers and snow mobilers, and campers (not just for the rec site itself).
    Everyone is contributing to the issues out there in the woods.....
    Heck, maybe those fancy Resorts and Golf Courses on historic winter grounds should pay annual dues for
    Restoration Projects.....price for doing business....and damage.

On a separate issue for enhancement.....
    I understand and more importantly, accept that the government, will continue to allow the forestry Companies
    harvest wood in "big lot sizes" for the foreseeable future, all in the name of beetle kill, and getting the good stuff
    out before it gets bad etc....
    But we need to have these Companies do a little bit more after the cutting is done, and do a better cleanup...
    meaning, somehow create a post "manmade" forest fire for the area that was cut....not just piddly slash burns.
    Then replant with some diversity, not all the same one species.
    I know logging has been around a long time...but I am sure there are ways of still improving it, so that there is
    some more Natural Feel to the end results and regrowth....IMO.

[QUOTE=Ourea;1954946]
    Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post

Thus the problem.
    Ignorance.

Many have the ear of Gov and wildlife management.
    A fix is in play.
    Hopefully it works out.
    Interesting, calling people names doesn't really seem to help get them on board.
    But sounds like I thought, its a group that wants things there way similar maybe to back door dealings of the past.
    You sure don't seem to want to let out much about it just that some thing is happening.
    Hopefully it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    One thing is for sure...it shouldn't just be hunters coughing up all the funding.
    Yup, hikers and mountain bikers, dirt bikers and snow mobilers, and campers (not just for the rec site itself).
    Everyone is contributing to the issues out there in the woods.....
    Heck, maybe those fancy Resorts and Golf Courses on historic winter grounds should pay annual dues for
    Restoration Projects.....price for doing business....and damage.

Completely agree with you on this aspect. That is the approach they have in a lot of states down south(Idaho and Montana come to mind), any outdoor recreation is subject to a tax which is then invested solely in conservation, to the point where Idaho has a budget tens of millions above what BC's is, with a lower population and less area to cover. This tax would be an easy fix for the funding situation.

I also think that companies that actively benefit from using the land (forestry, mining, oil and gas) should have to pay a conservation tax as well that is completely devoted to the environment. They get to make millions a year off this Province and contribute relatively little in keeping the environment stable and nourishing for our local species.

But the biggest thing we all need to think about and do, is not keep our complaints and ideas on some internet forum. This place is good for fostering discussion but what really makes a difference is calling and writing your local MLA's and MP's. This problem can only be fixed at the level of government and if our elected representatives don't hear from us, their constituents, on a near-constant basis they don't have the incentive to change things. It's amazing what just 30 or so phone calls can do. I've started writing my local MLA this year and have gotten responses and further information rather easily, while being able to stress how important conservation is to me. If we all group together and do this one simple task that doesn't take very long it can make a big difference regardless of which party currently holds power.

If there are enough people on this forum interested in writing a letter to their MLA and MP I would be happy to write up a draft letter that can be used so it takes people even less time. There is a way to do conservation and have generous bag limits but it requires the funding and political will to do so, and if we want to live in a democracy we have to take matters into our own hands at some point and demand action from our elected representatives.