Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the WKBGTA proposing a bag limit of 1 elk or 1 moose not both in BC

Re: Why is the WKBGTA proposing a bag limit of 1 elk or 1 moose not both in BC

Quote Originally Posted by jacksondog View Post
    Hey Dean,I agree with most of what you are saying. The Elk numbers are way down and as much as people want to blame predators for the decline in numbers we know first hand that Bulls in WK were hammered in those first 4 to 5 years, local biologists and local CO's came up with a number of 400 bulls killed in the first year alone, that's a fact not something made up. This year Bull Elk success rate was dismal at best. Time to go back to LEH or shorten the GOS season.
    on the closing of mule deer in November due to the meat tasting bad comment, come on seriously , what a ridiculous comment.
    Hey Gord, I agree & as I said above "Muleys ending Oct. 31 has NOTHING to do with rutted up meat. Its protecting their numbers when they are most vulnerable." I didn't believe they actually said it had to do with bad tasting meat - that's ~all I eat & it's ridiculous if they did say it.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    With the utmost respect, the difficulty for many that sit on committee know that Rick is on a personal agenda, that he is submitting recommendation without a lot of internal consultation and he's attempting to drive social agendas. When he was attending meetings, his agenda was divisive, and it affected the progress of good discussion.
    Committees are difficult, but I'm sure things politics will work themselves out. Rick has done a lot more than most people to help the wildlife in the area and definitely earned the right to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by canucks6 View Post
    Hey. As a long time west kootenay resident and someone who has put alot of animals in the freezer, I m beyond concerned. Sorry to say but things are to far gone. They opened everything up for a few years, there isnt the winter range to support large herds, the predator numbers are high, the last winter was rough, and the hunting pressure has been high. Things will come back eventually and no miracle regulation change is going to help. 10 years ago i never saw a wolf track, the last couple years more than anything else. Poor stupid mule deer don't have a chance.
    I fully agree Canucks6

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Region 4 use to be a bag limit of 1 moose or 1 elk and should have stayed that way, I have no issue with it being changed back to that.
    I agree LBM

Ungulate populations are under growing pressure from all sides. Habitat fragmentation, FSR road networks aiding predators & urban development of wintering grounds being some of the biggies. However, the biggest change that we've seen in the last couple of decades is the re-introduction of wolves.

The Kootenays has higher elevations with deeper snowpacks & large winter kill incidents that other areas like the Okanagan don't experience. Therefore, our management practices must differ & adjust for this. We have also had wolves for longer than the Okanagan. I have a feeling once the wolves move heavily there from Region 3 & 4, they will be singing a different tune...

I was shifting my focus out of hunting just when the wolves were starting to come into southern BC. With their reintroduction in Yellowstone & Idaho, I remember hearing about the wolves as they swept through regions in the states north & westward & how they seriously affected hunters. I gave up my favourite elk hunting spot in the East Kootenay, after we were greeted by wolves in camp & our only bugle responses were their howling. The trapper took 25 out of that valley the following winter & said there were just as many left with more coming north to replace them. Almost no elk tracks in there the next year...

I also vividly remember bowhunting near the border in the WK & seeing my first wolf face-to-face at ~70m. It is a cool experience to have their wildness as part of our ecosystem, but they are experts at what they do & would change hunting in an area for generations if left alone...

Our wildlife management is going to have to adjust & adapt to the new reality. We should do all that we can to help ease the pressure & protect our wildlife resources...
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by steepNdeep View Post
    However, if mule deer populations are weak, limiting hunting pressure in November will help rebuild populations. It was done in the past & worked. FACT.
    Not a FACT at all. Capital letters (shouting) doesn't make it a FACT either.

Shooting every single 4 point every single year wouldn't change the size of mule deer populations. And what we do take now is insignificant in terms of maintaining sex ratios.

A few years ago your ilk was screaming at the top of its lungs that closing the short any buck season would save 4W mule deer populations, so we closed that down in favour of 4 point only seasons. And, lo and behold, mule deer didn't rebound, the population kept declining, and now you're back screaming for more of the same.

FACT - the bios knew it wouldn't change outcomes, but they gave you guys what you wanted, because you insisted (loudly) this was what would work.

Time you read a book or two, or attended a presentation on mule deer. It might help you guys understand what needs to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry99 View Post
    i think your missing the point, there grand scheme is to eleviate some pressure on already repressed animal numbers. I fail to see how harvesting more animals in a predator rich environment will increase animal numbers but maybe you could enlighten me fd?
    He's just making the point you can change/reduce the seasons all you want it's not going to make a huge difference, its been done already from when you had very liberal seasons to now !
    I believe he saying........with a little FD tongue and cheek added habitat restoration is your answer....maybe throw in a little predator control to aid in that and we'll be looking good !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Funding model boys.
    Get behind it.
    Dollars back to wildlife and habitat.
    That's the fix.

There is no hunting of interior caribou yet their numbers continue to implode.
    There are few LEH tags for MD does yet MD numbers contract.
    I can go on.

Ban all hunting.....it will not fix the problem.
    Regulation is not the driving force to fix our shrinking resource.
    Regulation affects age but not numbers.

Wake up folks.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Region 4 use to be a bag limit of 1 moose or 1 elk and should have stayed that way, I have no issue with it being changed back to that.
    That regulation was in place when elk were 3 point or better and moose were GOS any bull larger than a spike, with longer seasons too.

That regression to yesteryear's restrictions under today's 6 point elk and spike/fork moose seasons won't change harvest more than a rounding error on a decimal. It's unnecessary and not science-based.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Not a FACT at all. Capital letters (shouting) doesn't make it a FACT either.

Shooting every single 4 point every single year wouldn't change the size of mule deer populations. And what we do take now is insignificant in terms of maintaining sex ratios.

A few years ago your ilk was screaming at the top of its lungs that closing the short any buck season would save 4W mule deer populations, so we closed that down in favour of 4 point only seasons. And, lo and behold, mule deer didn't rebound, the population kept declining, and now you're back screaming for more of the same.

FACT - the bios knew it wouldn't change outcomes, but they gave you guys what you wanted, because you insisted (loudly) this was what would work.

Time you read a book or two, or attended a presentation on mule deer. It might help you guys understand what needs to be done.
    These are the facts...we can tell your a dedicated hunter and concerned conservationist SteepNdeep, but the truth is, it's habitat and preds, not hunting, everyone needs to educate themselves on this topic..

WKBGTA
    Why are they even sticking their oar in the water?

here are some of my thoughts to consider:
    Beetle kill/logging beetle kill and the "bycatch" is responsible for 1)reducing mature forest habitat 2)increasing road access for human and 4 legged preds. 3) increasing sight lines/ease of kill....if most logging roads are deactivated by actually planting trees on them, we will see these 3 issues be a temporary situation.

The huge areas burned by fire and the regrowth of the beetle kill areas will bring a huge level of habitat improvements...couple that with a few milder winters and suddenly numbers will pop....

as others note: It is all about the habitat

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    here are some of my thoughts to consider:
    Beetle kill/logging beetle kill and the "bycatch" is responsible for 1)reducing mature forest habitat 2)increasing road access for human and 4 legged preds. 3) increasing sight lines/ease of kill....if most logging roads are deactivated by actually planting trees on them, we will see these 3 issues be a temporary situation.

The huge areas burned by fire and the regrowth of the beetle kill areas will bring a huge level of habitat improvements...couple that with a few milder winters and suddenly numbers will pop....

as others note: It is all about the habitat
    especially wintering grounds