Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the WKBGTA proposing a bag limit of 1 elk or 1 moose not both in BC

Re: Why is the WKBGTA proposing a bag limit of 1 elk or 1 moose not both in BC

I'm not sure why you guys are worried about this small group with goofy ideas let them have their fantasy reality as always will rule any changes.

Strange around here this year its like everyone is looking for evidence that the hunting world as we know it is imploding and there's no game left or some deal. Special interest groups are going to make xyz changes and we're all ****ed. Take a deep breath this year's about like last year and next year will be about the same the sky isn't falling FFS. Always a few problems to attend to, the grizz hunt for sure, but too much bloody negative going on and mostly all about nothing.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

WKBGTA - "Cancel 6-point GOS and openLEH - To "Increase WK elk population. Create ahigher quality hunt."

Anyone who has listened to any biologist for more than 5 minutes knows closing 6 point season will do nothing for the populations.

WKBGTA - "Open a GOS for senior hunters for 6-point or better bulls from Sept 1-9 Increase hunting opportunity forseniors. Provide a quality hunt with less competition in the field. Small percentage of senior hunters. Increase hunter retention."

Oh really? close GOS 6 elk for everyone else and open it for "senior hunters" wonder what the average age of a WKBGTA member is....?

WKBGTA "Province - Change bag limit to one elk or one moose One hunter doesn't need that much meat. "

WKBGTA - "Shorten mule deer buck season - Mule deer meat during rut isn't good for sustenance."

Hey West Kootenay Big Game Trophy Association, big ol trophy animals are all stinky, tough, stringy meat. Not good for sustenance. Better hang up the measuring tapes.

What a bunch of BS. Self serving demands at the expense of all BC residents and families. Shame on them.
    Last edited by Sirloin; 11-18-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Sirloin. These are the recommendations they put forward last Spring. The stakeholder engagement process has discussed each one of them and Gov has made a decision on which of the many recommendations from many stakeholders they will go forward with. Go forward does not mean change regulations. Go forward means which ideas and recommendations have sufficient science and justification to move on to the next round of discussions.
    If I recall correctlt, none of these made it. Just a random wish list.
    I believe we will see a change in the WK elk season though.

^^^^this exactly, manage by social agenda rather than by science....I sure hope the regional biologists will stop any kind of regulation changes like this from happening...as for the elk, lets look at region 8 for example: heavy hunting pressure, yet elk are still increasing, if it's so bad in the WK it's safe to say lack of fires (good habitat creation) and preds are the main problems...and as for stinky mulies shot in the rut, well, my partner and I harvested a 4 pt muley in region 8 early November, it tastes fantastic..

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry99 View Post
    i dont have any recent knowledge of what they are doing but the word trophy is in there name because of an annual trophy banquet
    Dont buy it. Their logo literally has a measuring tape in it...

http://www.westkootenaybiggame.ca/28-2/

^They seem VERY concerned with big animals, and judging by these demands in the document, i'm betting very concerned with making big animals at the expense of every BC Residents hunting opportunities by destroying them.

It sounds like they have contributed a lot of good conservation work but these demands....I think they have been staring at their tape measures too long and lost perspective. time to reevaluate. These demands are not science based and completely transparent. They want the regulations changed in their favor to make few BIG animals, don't actually increase populations and come at the expense of every BC residents hunters opportunities.

I found this quote on their site.

“IF YOU ARE NOT WORKING TO PROTECT HUNTING,
    THEN YOU ARE WORKING TO DESTROY IT”
    -FRED BEAR

How does that look next to their quote? "WKBGTA - "Shorten mule deer buck season - Mule deer meat during rut isn't good for sustenance."

Guys common...what were you thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Sirloin. These are the recommendations they put forward last Spring. The stakeholder engagement process has discussed each one of them and Gov has made a decision on which of the many recommendations from many stakeholders they will go forward with. Go forward does not mean change regulations. Go forward means which ideas and recommendations have sufficient science and justification to move on to the next round of discussions.
    It doesn't comfort me to see people within our own hunting community working against the opportunities and rights of every average BC resident hunter, so they can score big animals, MAYBE.

They need to give their heads a shake and think about the future hunting rights and opportunities we are passing, or NOT passing down to our children and grandchildren. They also need to consider not every BC hunter is just trying to get their name in a book. Their demands are ridiculous and should not be tabled in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^this exactly, manage by social agenda rather than by science....I sure hope the regional biologists will stop any kind of regulation changes like this from happening...as for the elk, lets look at region 8 for example: heavy hunting pressure, yet elk are still increasing, if it's so bad in the WK it's safe to say lack of fires (good habitat creation) and preds are the main problems...and as for stinky mulies shot in the rut, well, my partner and I harvested a 4 pt muley in region 8 early November, it tastes fantastic..
    i would love to see a big effort in habitat creation for elk and deer in the wk. seems to have done wonders in places like 8-14 and 8-15. rocky mountain elk foundation was involved at some point in reg8 i think.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Thanks for the clarity, everyone needs to take a breath instead of getting their knikkers in a knot

Quote Originally Posted by Sirloin View Post
    It doesn't comfort me to see people within our own hunting community working against the opportunities and rights of every average BC resident hunter, so they can score big animals, MAYBE.

They need to give their heads a shake and think about the future hunting rights and opportunities we are passing, or NOT passing down to our children and grandchildren. They also need to consider not every BC hunter is just trying to get their name in a book. Their demands are ridiculous and should not be tabled in the first place.
    A Wish List like this isn't the first of its kind, and this certainly isn't unique to Region 4 as the same type of list has been started in Reg 8 in the past., and I am sure other regions also. Fortunately the process continues, the chaff gets thrown out and if something has merit it gets on the short list for discussion.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Let's not forget that the NDP MLA in that area, who claims to be such a "friend" of hunters, tried to get the elk season shut down.

See the dovetail between the special interest groups, the closure of hunting opportunities for you, and the NDP?
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

WTF are you talking about? Are you saying that you dont support wildlife conservation?

Based on wildlife surveys that WKBGA has been doing for DECADES ungulate numbers are down & predator numbers are UP. WKBGA members do the surveys, help collar animals, maintain & feed animals on the winter range, transplanted the elk, goats IN THE AREA in the first place. They do more work FOR the game populations in the WK than anyone else. What have YOU done??? lol

Many guys in the WK are passionate about hunting, spend a ton of time in the mountains & are good enough hunters to be successful harvesting & eating big, mature bucks & bulls. I would think that's the ultimate wish for most hunters.

It is unfortunate that the game levels are so hurting, that the regs have to regress back to what they were a decade+ ago... BUT if that's the case, their recommendations make sense. Muleys ending Oct. 31 has NOTHING to do with rutted up meat. It's simply protecting their numbers when they are most vulnerable. It used to be Oct. 31st when I started hunting them... Same with 1 elk OR moose & elk LEH. It's a big cycle, with wolves now making the big difference. Help do something about it...

Quote Originally Posted by howa1500 View Post
    Can someone explain why the West Kootenay Big Game Trophy Association (WKBGTA) is making the following proposals:
    1) Change provincial bag limit to 1 moose or 1 elk - "based on hunters don't need that much meat';
    2)Cancel the 6 point GOS and open season LEH in the WK;
    3)Shorten mule deer season to Sept 10 - Oct 31 - because "mule deer meat during the rut in't good for sustenance".

But increase the number of cats that can be taken...

http://www.ferniergc.com/documents/2018%20Regulation%20Change%20Proposals%20for%20KWH AC%20(2017-06-06).pdf

Who is the West Kootenay Big Game Association to say how much I need? Or how many people I support on a successful year of harvest.

Who is the WKBTA association to dictate that rutted mule deer meat isn't good for sustenance... I would suggest MANY a hunter would disagree.

You guys make me sick! Where is your logic or science coming from... Oh wait how many of your members just shot a critter for it's bone, but left the meat to go rot... I know a few... wouldn't even give it up for dog meat... but you sure did get a B&C ranking....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirloin View Post
    Dont
    How does that look next to their quote? "WKBGTA - "Shorten mule deer buck season - Mule deer meat during rut isn't good for sustenance."
    Sirloin - do you not understand the concept of wildlife conservation???
    Last edited by steepNdeep; 11-19-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir