Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Why is the WKBGTA proposing a bag limit of 1 elk or 1 moose not both in BC

Re: Why is the WKBGTA proposing a bag limit of 1 elk or 1 moose not both in BC

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    No , its not that simple ..... But when there is a finite number of animals and more die each year than are being produced , that equals a net loss ... hunters are the only regulated cause of death for wildlife as we have no control over the others, ie FN , wolf , cougar , bear, accidents , desease and probably a few more .
    FD : Your example of the caribou is a poor one as we know thru science that the predators are almost exclusively responsible for the demise of the caribou.
    Which proves FD's point, its not hunters, its preds in this case.

Not true at all. Habitat has been a huge detriment to caribou, along with human encroachment and recreational activities. As an example, 35,000 acres of old growth forest critical to Caribou survival, maybe it was hectares, was set aside for Caribou habitat in the Revelstoke area several years ago. 30,000 of it ended up being logged.

Looking for the literature.... Can't seem to find the original article that I read the details in. Here is one report that somewhat supports what I have stated. A lack of protection of habitat.
    http://www.vws.org/documents/Wildlif...tionUpdate.pdf

Your example of the caribou is a poor one as we know thru science that the predators are almost exclusively responsible for the demise of the caribou.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Habitat Loss/Degradation, as well as Preds and Pine Beetle I think are all pieces of the puzzle, and when you have all those factors in hand, at one time, ends up being the cause for what we are seeing these days.
    Pine beetle, or Preds "on their own", wouldn't result in the issues right now, or not to the degree we are seeing.
    Habitat Loss will always be the #1 contributor...lets face it...no house, no home, no food is always going to
    create dramatic losses, more quickly and for longer durations.
    But these factors are all at play right now for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Which proves FD's point, its not hunters, its preds in this case.
    Atta boy just like FD , keep those blinders on .....

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    Not true at all. Habitat has been a huge detriment to caribou, along with human encroachment and recreational activities. As an example, 35,000 acres of old growth forest critical to Caribou survival, maybe it was hectares, was set aside for Caribou habitat in the Revelstoke area several years ago. 30,000 of it ended up being logged.

Looking for the literature.... Can't seem to find the original article that I read the details in. Here is one report that somewhat supports what I have stated. A lack of protection of habitat.
    http://www.vws.org/documents/Wildlif...tionUpdate.pdf
    Oh its true .... Look at the results of protecting the caribou from the wolves in the same area , hint , they built wolf proof pens and killed around 70+ wolves

I'm not negating the negative impacts of predators at all, but from everything I have read and been told, there is no silver bullet in this case. Maybe I'm wrong. Eventually we will know how it played out exactly.

Oh its true .... Look at the results of protecting the caribou from the wolves in the same area , hint , they built wolf proof pens and killed around 70+ wolves
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.