Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the WKBGTA proposing a bag limit of 1 elk or 1 moose not both in BC

Re: Why is the WKBGTA proposing a bag limit of 1 elk or 1 moose not both in BC

[QUOTE=

What have you been doing about it?

[/QUOTE]

Answer.
    A lot.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Thats all we can go on my friend, personal experiences.
    I can remember when the beer flowed like wine, rut lines on every ridge. massive rubs that you would give names to, three 170 Plus Mulies chasing a hot doe, double drop tine bucks at 20 yards with the bow,
    The memories go on and on. Hope to see those days again so all the kids can experience them.
    Long before the cameras and baits we had it all..
    Cheers Brent

You should be carful of belittling the power of a good old raffle. The Clubs could shut the doors on attitudes like that.
    It's those so called contributions that buy radio collars and save rivers and marshes.
    While the big show is happening the needs are still being supported the small donations.

So party on Garth.

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    Thats all we can go on my friend, personal experiences.
    I can remember when the beer flowed like wine, rut lines on every ridge. massive rubs that you would give names to, three 170 Plus Mulies chasing a hot doe, double drop tine bucks at 20 yards with the bow,
    The memories go on and on. Hope to see those days again so all the kids can experience them.
    Long before the cameras and baits we had it all..
    Cheers Brent
    Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying there is the age class of mulies that there was in previous years. Age class and deer numbers aren't the same thing. For that you need habitat and access restrictions like we had in the park just a few years ago.

There are still guys out there (there are a few on this site) who are pretty consistent at killing big bucks....but they go find the conditions that will grow big bucks.

Having said that, the kid and I also saw a 170" plus whitetail last year the evening before the season started and I killed 'my' biggest bodied and oldest muley a week later close to the same spot.

Like I said, I don't make judgements based on my personal experiences. A sample size of just 'one' is a bit too small to pass any judgment.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by peaceriver View Post
    Completely agree with you on this aspect. That is the approach they have in a lot of states down south(Idaho and Montana come to mind), any outdoor recreation is subject to a tax which is then invested solely in conservation, to the point where Idaho has a budget tens of millions above what BC's is, with a lower population and less area to cover. This tax would be an easy fix for the funding situation.

I also think that companies that actively benefit from using the land (forestry, mining, oil and gas) should have to pay a conservation tax as well that is completely devoted to the environment. They get to make millions a year off this Province and contribute relatively little in keeping the environment stable and nourishing for our local species.

But the biggest thing we all need to think about and do, is not keep our complaints and ideas on some internet forum. This place is good for fostering discussion but what really makes a difference is calling and writing your local MLA's and MP's. This problem can only be fixed at the level of government and if our elected representatives don't hear from us, their constituents, on a near-constant basis they don't have the incentive to change things. It's amazing what just 30 or so phone calls can do. I've started writing my local MLA this year and have gotten responses and further information rather easily, while being able to stress how important conservation is to me. If we all group together and do this one simple task that doesn't take very long it can make a big difference regardless of which party currently holds power.

If there are enough people on this forum interested in writing a letter to their MLA and MP I would be happy to write up a draft letter that can be used so it takes people even less time. There is a way to do conservation and have generous bag limits but it requires the funding and political will to do so, and if we want to live in a democracy we have to take matters into our own hands at some point and demand action from our elected representatives.
    Sounds good! Draft up your letter. I'm sure there would be many here that would appreciate a helping hand to get a letter to there their political representatives. Good on you for offering to do it!

Pittman Robertson money was used to reintroduce wolves in lower 48 look it up. Counting on scientist to protect threatened species whatever eh!! http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/...yale-collapses

Are not Caribou a threatened species?? but science is gonna get there jollies and collect tax paying money to watch wolves decimate a threatened population. Read the posted article.
    This is a real worry!Using sportsmen's money to take away opportunities. Just have to look south to see. Fooling yourself to think it won't happen. It aready has happened. What measures are available to avoid similar situation??
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Some people tip their hand and admit they want to see 170 class mulies behind every tree, so they want to restrict other hunters to get what they want.

Others want to see healthy, productive deer herds that provide opportunity for all hunters with all motivations.

Quickest way to poor productivity and shrinking deer herds is to drive up a surplus of mature bucks. Herd shrinks, fawn recruitment tanks.

But I guess when that was discussed, the guys who want more regulations were plugging their ears. Thankfully, our biologists want to manage our deer to provide healthy, growing populations with excellent fawn recruitment and representation from all age classes in that population.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

This province still needs to kill some wolves and bears off.

Good one Dude, I have been hunting for over 45 years, still count the rings on a buck.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    This province still needs to kill some wolves and bears off.
    This is the truth.....