Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the WKBGTA proposing a bag limit of 1 elk or 1 moose not both in BC

Re: Why is the WKBGTA proposing a bag limit of 1 elk or 1 moose not both in BC

Quote Originally Posted by steepNdeep View Post
    WTF are you talking about? Are you saying that you dont support wildlife conservation?

Based on wildlife surveys that WKBGA has been doing for DECADES ungulate numbers are down & predator numbers are UP. WKBGA members do the surveys, transplanted the elk, goats IN THE AREA in the first place, AND monitor & support/control the game populations in the WK. What have YOU done???

Many guys in the WK are passionate about hunting, spend a ton of time in the mountains & are good enough to be successful harvesting & eating big, mature bucks & bulls. I would thunk thats the ultimate wish for most hunters. lol

It is unfortunate that the game levels are so hurting, that the regs have to regress back to what they were a decade+ ago... BUT their recommendations make sense. Muleys ending Oct. 31 has NOTHING to do with rutted up meat. Its protecting their numbers when they are most vulnerable. It used to be Oct. 31st when I started hunting them... Same with 1 elk OR moose & elk LEH. Its a big cycle with wolves making the big difference. Get used to it or help do something about it...

Thats GREAT! they are doing all that good conservation work, hope they continue to do more. I applaud them for it.

BUT

These particular regulation changes they are putting forth to our government, are nothing more than social agenda changes to further opportunities to harvest bigger animals, they do nothing for the population. They aren't science based and they aren't approaches that increase total populations.

Closing GOS elk for 6 point and opening a special GOS 6 point for seniors only? give me a break, that is not conservation that is purely a social agenda.

Closing mule deer during the rut because the "meat isn't good" is a total bs statement, it sounds like they want the rut closed so more guys and gals don't harvest the biggest bucks when they get silly during the rut.

These aren't based on sex ratios or known methods of increasing population. These are changes to stop your average hunter from getting a chance at harvesting mature animals.

Until we see the cows and does are not getting bred and not having fawns, we know these changes will do nothing for overall populations and destroy hunting opportunities for the average bc resident hunter.

HABITAT HABITAT HABITAT

I'm sure they are good people at the end of the day. From these particular demands they put forth, to me it seems like they have lost perspective in their pursuits to get their name in a book with bragging rights. They are doing so at the expense of every average hunters opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirloin View Post
    Thats GREAT! they are doing all that good conservation work, hope they continue to do more. I applaud them for it.

BUT

These particular regulation changes they are putting forth aren't science based and they aren't approaches that increase total populations.
    WKBGA's proposed regulation changes ARE SCIENCE BASED, designed to conserve wildlife populations.

WKBGA are the ones managing the animals & doing the annual game surveys, radio collaring predators, etc. on the winter range. They volunteer their $, time & energy to do this when there is no funding from the government. They know exactly what is going on. You don't.

What do YOU do to help, Sirloin???
    Last edited by steepNdeep; 11-19-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

WKBGA's proposed regulation changes ARE SCIENCE BASED, designed to conserve wildlife populations.

WKBGA are the ones managing the animals & doing the annual game surveys, radio collaring predators, etc. on the winter range. They volunteer their $, time & energy to do this when there is no funding from the government. They know exactly what is going on. You don't.

What do YOU do to help, Sirloin???
    I DONT work against the BC Resident hunting community by trying to take away their hunting opportunities.

Please point me towards the science that says closing a 6 point GOS elk season and opening a special GOS 6 point elk season for seniors only will increase overall elk populations. I'd love to see that.

Please point me towards the science that says an elk and a moose is just too much meat for a family. I'd love to see that.

Please point me towards the science that says mule deer meat during the rut is not fit for consumption, i'd LOVE to see that one.

These are not science based and we all know it.

Pointing out all the good they do is not an argument in defense of WKBGA putting forth recommendations to away every average hunters opportunities. It also doesn't give them special status deciding how to regulate the wildlife of BC held in the PUBLIC trust of ALL tax paying BC Residents.
    Last edited by Sirloin; 11-19-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckler View Post
    I've shot a few Nov mulies with swollen necks and strongly smelled of rut. The meat was fine and I couldn't tell the difference from an October deer. I processed the meat myself and trimmed off all the fat.
    That is probably the reason!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

WTF are you talking about? Are you saying that you dont support wildlife conservation?

Based on wildlife surveys that WKBGA has been doing for DECADES ungulate numbers are down & predator numbers are UP. WKBGA members do the surveys, help collar animals, maintain & feed animals on the winter range, transplanted the elk, goats IN THE AREA in the first place. They do more work FOR the game populations in the WK than anyone else. What have YOU done??? lol

Many guys in the WK are passionate about hunting, spend a ton of time in the mountains & are good enough hunters to be successful harvesting & eating big, mature bucks & bulls. I would think that's the ultimate wish for most hunters.

It is unfortunate that the game levels are so hurting, that the regs have to regress back to what they were a decade+ ago... BUT if that's the case, their recommendations make sense. Muleys ending Oct. 31 has NOTHING to do with rutted up meat. It's simply protecting their numbers when they are most vulnerable. It used to be Oct. 31st when I started hunting them... Same with 1 elk OR moose & elk LEH. It's a big cycle, with wolves now making the big difference. Help do something about it...

Sirloin - do you not understand the concept of wildlife conservation???
    Dean- Is the West Kootenay Big Game Association the same thing as the West Kootenay Big Game Trophy Association? My take is that it is NOT the same thing. These proposals don't come from the WKBGA but the spin off group WKBGTA and don't necessarily reflect the main club's viewpoint.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sirloin View Post
    I DONT work against the BC Resident hunting community by trying to take away their hunting opportunities.

Please point me towards the science that says closing a 6 point GOS elk season and opening a special GOS 6 point elk season for seniors only will increase overall elk populations. I'd love to see that.

Please point me towards the science that says an elk and a moose is just too much meat for a family. I'd love to see that.

Please point me towards the science that says mule deer meat during the rut is not fit for consumption, i'd LOVE to see that one.

These are not science based and we all know it.

Pointing out all the good they do is not an argument in defense of WKBGA putting forth recommendations to away every average hunters opportunities. It also doesn't give them special status deciding how to regulate the wildlife of BC held in the PUBLIC trust of ALL tax paying BC Residents.
    I read it the same way. Good for you speaking your mind like you've done.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Dean- Is the West Kootenay Big Game Association the same thing as the West Kootenay Big Game Trophy Association? My take is that it is NOT the same thing. These proposals don't come from the WKBGA but the spin off group WKBGTA and don't necessarily reflect the main club's viewpoint.

SSS
    Brent, Yes there are 2 organizations - the other is Trail Wildlife Association. Ive been a member of both. They have different agendas, but the same core members that do most of the conservation work.

For instance, Rick F. is on both executives, has been instrumental transplantimg the goats, protecting & maintaining the winter range, game surveys, etc.. Not surprisingly, he's a hardcore hunter conistently shooting some of the oldest animals...
    Last edited by steepNdeep; 11-19-2017 at 02:42 PM.
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

I have a hard time with gun clubs recommendations at times.
    I know many of them care, and each of them are located in different Regions, so each situation is different.
    I am not opposed to trying some "new things" at times, but you have to remember, there past clubs who made
    recommendations like road closures etc, that was supposed to make things better.
    Then came along point restrictions, to make it all better.
    Then LEH, to make it all better (don't get me wrong, some LEH needs to be in place, say for goats or sheep etc).
    But in the end, a lot of these recommendations, thru support of these clubs, ended up being a big fail.
    Worse off, these bad decisions never get dropped in favor of "new thoughts", just added on top of.
    I don't think throwing more policy on top of old bad policy is going to make it better.
    The truth is, lots of Regions are suffering from lack of one species or another since there "hey days".
    The WK in my opinion, is no different.
    Hunting is not wildlife's greatest danger, and I wish everyone would see that.....
    If it was, the game should be abundant by now, but it is not.

I think the regulation proposal of one elk or one moose is one that I support..As it stands now in BC we can apply for every animal ..So we have many choices..From past recollections of abuse I have witnessed of a family having there wife purchase a hunting tag so the old man could shoot two moose or two elk ..Disgusting ..As for deer the limit of one doe and one buck was sufficent.Hunting I feel is like fishing ..10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish ..Hunters also tend to mirror similar results..With our game numbers falling due to 20 reasons we should be willing to support some pain for our support of Conservation ..How do the Americans change or manage their buck to doe ratios ...LEH..If we dont support some reductions in harvest we will get this poison pill rammed down our throats..There is middle ground but some on this Forum will fight tooth and nail against it ...Hopefully this is the start of some form of management as we have been lacking it for many years..I'm not endorsing the WKBGTA's proposals but the world is changing hopefully for the better...Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    I think the regulation proposal of one elk or one moose is one that I support..As it stands now in BC we can apply for every animal ..So we have many choices..From past recollections of abuse I have witnessed of a family having there wife purchase a hunting tag so the old man could shoot two moose or two elk ..Disgusting ..As for deer the limit of one doe and one buck was sufficent.Hunting I feel is like fishing ..10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish ..Hunters also tend to mirror similar results..With our game numbers falling due to 20 reasons we should be willing to support some pain for our support of Conservation ..How do the Americans change or manage their buck to doe ratios ...LEH..If we dont support some reductions in harvest we will get this poison pill rammed down our throats..There is middle ground but some on this Forum will fight tooth and nail against it ...Hopefully this is the start of some form of management as we have been lacking it for many years..I'm not endorsing the WKBGTA's proposals but the world is changing hopefully for the better...Dennis
    we have to assume that a few men of the household are harvesting on wife's tag, or poaching the occasional deer off their sections, although still poaching and illegal, but it pales in comparison to the pit lamping and poaching from other groups that feel poaching is a God given right
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”