Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non local band night hunting elk at Pitt River

Re: Non local band night hunting elk at Pitt River

How much damage could a band of 80 members do?
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

If I'm not mistaken, the transplanted elk outside Kimberly/ Creston were shot out in 1 year by the First Nations peoples in the area. Damage is doable. We have allocations and laws/ regulations for a reason.

Update: the 3rd leh bull was taken yesterday at Pitt. Yes there were 3 tags this year.
    ἀλήθεια

Make like a baby and head out!

Thumbs down Re: Non local band night hunting elk at Pitt River

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    ... The tradition is to hunt at night, the tradition isn't to hunt at night in a loin cloth with a spear. And it's not just a tradition, it's a right, that some fools in the past wrote into our Constitution.
    It is not a tradition - it is bullshit.
    You can try to claim it was, but the extremely little information that exists in this regard points to fishing practices with a torch at night - NOT hunting.

And you are further in error claiming this dangerous and abhorrent practice is a "right" written into the Constitution.
    It is in fact, a legal "right" bestowed upon a single band on the Saanich Peninsula by our wacked out Supreme Court.
    It is only by extension (fear of losing the court battle) this so-called "right" has been extended to other bands in BC, and in fact, across Canada. As such, it has no Constitutional Protection as you assert, and can likely be challenged on the grounds of public safety.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredchev View Post
    ... The CO who turns his head and looks the other way is just as guilty as the primary offender. It's the same as conspiracy to commit a crime as is it to follow through. Playing dumb or blind is not an excuse we should be using in this day and age
    And you continue to miss the point. The CO who turns a blind eye has been ordered to do so. Should he ignore those marching orders, he WILL face disciplinary action. And, it will never ever get to court even if he does lay charges against his superiors' desires, they will be certain to nullify any such action. The problem does not lie at the CO level. Period.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

^^^I agree with challenging the supreme courts decision to let them hunt at night, considering public safety...I wonder what would be the best way to do it..

If they are from the Coquitlam Band I'm surprised the Katzie Band isn't upset about it.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    It is not a tradition - it is bullshit.
    You can try to claim it was, but the extremely little information that exists in this regard points to fishing practices with a torch at night - NOT hunting.

Cheers,
    Nog
    Well stated, 1 law, our trucks, our firearms, our fuel, our bullets, it's even our booze. Tradition my ass
    Last edited by Blainer; 11-19-2017 at 04:26 PM.
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

I agree with an article I read recently; the next wars in North America will be civil wars.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    If they are from the Coquitlam Band I'm surprised the Katzie Band isn't upset about it.
    I have no idea what the 2 bands relationship is like between themselves?
    I can only imagine that the Katzie aren't happy if all this is true.
    (my friend who had this seasons draw got to know a few of the locals very well, and I suspect the owner, who holds a great deal of property up there will be the one to ask).
    Unless the 2 bands made a "backroom deal"???? BUT, that would be only speculation on my part, and there is
    nothing to support that....just so you all are aware.
    The lunacy in this all, by the Coq Band is....these elk were, to best of my knowledge, never "traditional prey" for
    them to hunt.
    I think in the end....that's what makes me the most mad.
    We try to introduce species, like Roosevelt Elk, into an area where they can thrive, in areas where they aren't
    "traditionally", and maybe in hopes of adding hunting opportunities for all of us....but in the end, these chances
    for everyone get taken away....and sorry if this sounds so racist to some, but it seems to be one group who
    just feels like it's there right....
    Here they are given the chance at a species that can be very enjoyable to hunt, and the meat is fantastic, and they
    just "beat it up" just before it gets going really well....
    Sorry, but just makes me angry that this happens....and makes it even harder to become "Accepting" of
    "Cultural Differences".....in the end, it makes we want to see it disappear.
    It's just gone too far.....there is no logic in sustaining this anymore, if this is the "thanks" in the end.

Double post. See below.
    Last edited by MichelD; 11-20-2017 at 02:17 PM.

I believe that the historical record indicates that though once widespread throughout southern BC, human activity and expansion slowly extinguished the elk on the mainland, leaving only Vancouver Island to support this species in Canada.

Of course we are now all familiar with the reintroductions onto the South Coast.