Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non local band night hunting elk at Pitt River

Re: Non local band night hunting elk at Pitt River

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Assuming the horsemen have been invited...

This is likely the best course of action.
    If those who live there, and as you put it are responsible and organized in their allocated harvest, they do tend to get a tad jaded when intruders arrive. I would be making damn certain these band(s) are informed asap.

Also make certain the band of the intruders is aware - by that I mean the Chief, Council & Elders' Council asap.
    It may be a "renegade" (not sanctioned) action, and their leaders may be able to exert an influence.

Pictures. Observation and recording. Think eventual media / court.
    Get the message to the media - they may duck, but they may not...
    Be willing to stand up in court and testify that is was your private land this poaching occurred on. Make that well known.
    Try not to become endangered doing so.

I truly agree with how many inches we're currently taking.

However, the CO's are not in any position to decide who gets charged in these types of cases, and who does not. In fact, if some are warned not to charge in a given situation and still do, they will pace penalties for that decision.

Judges are a problem in many cases. So much so, and so high up, that I personally consider our supreme court (as it stands) to be utterly inept when dealing with anything of this (and some others) nature.

Politicians are the worst of the lot. Fawning and lusting for votes, and paying particular attention to the winds of political correctness as it applies to any situation. In a great many instances, pressure from these locusts decides an unjust and unworthy outcome for reprehensible actions.

Under the current (and constantly being adversely tested) system, well... Houston, We Have A Problem...

I do hope the offenders come to their senses before someone decides to do that for them...

Cheers,
    Nog
    For crying out loud, it's not illegal to interfere with an illegal hunt. Maybe some locals should give them some company?? I imagine the RCMP should be dealing with trespassers should they not?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Gawd that has to be the stupidest thing native haters have come up with...you should try to drop it from your rants. just sayin
    I don't hate Indians, I hate poachers. If you want to have a traditional hunt, use traditional methods. Don't use our (that's modern humans, not just evil old whitey's) technologies.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    I don't hate Indians, I hate poachers. If you want to have a traditional hunt, use traditional methods. Don't use our (that's modern humans, not just evil old whitey's) technologies.
    Just in case you missed it, they are humans too. I just hate that saying, it makes people sound so backward. The tradition is to hunt at night, the tradition isn't to hunt at night in a loin cloth with a spear. And it's not just a tradition, it's a right, that some fools in the past wrote into our Constitution.

I will say this:

I'd I hunt at night with led spot lights from a vehicle I would arrested and processed within 24 hrs as a typical white male

They will be given a wave and goodbye doing the same action, who is the criminal?

The CO who turns his head and looks the other way is just as guilty as the primary offender. It's the same as conspiracy to commit a crime as is it to follow through. Playing dumb or blind is not an excuse we should be using in this day and age

And so the saga begins... and people are so polite about this bull shiet, but really the government is to blame more than the natives as they are providing them the get out of jail passes, so they take advantage of it
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

If they are hunting outside of their traditional territory, then this is poaching, so,phone RAPP...certain CO's in this case will make an attempt to uphold the law on them, I phoned in once when natives were illegally selling fish and the CO pursued it - it's always worth a shot...and I agree with the recommendations that the local band should be contacted as well..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    If they are hunting outside of their traditional territory, then this is poaching, so,phone RAPP...certain CO's in this case will make an attempt to uphold the law on them, I phoned in once when natives were illegally selling fish and the CO pursued it - it's always worth a shot...and I agree with the recommendations that the local band should be contacted as well..
    Yah right ! In region 9 I'll guess

Well...maybe there may be some good in all of this....
    The Bands that have been given the elk permits, have from my understanding, been following the agreement.
    I think they get 2 per season (although, I understand they can let these accumulate....meaning no expiry date)
    Anyways, that a different discussion....but....
    I can see some Band Infighting....
    Just like the old "traditional ways"......foreign tribe in another's space....war.....lol
    At least the bands following the rules may now want "protection from other bands"!!??
    Long overdue infighting.
    I do see this going to court (if this is all true, and CO's press charges)....who knows what precedence will be set this time??

What would suck...is nothing good comes from this, and nobody does nothing.
    I had always hoped that these "transplants" that we have done over the years, would eventually transpire into some
    great hunting opportunities, and maybe even the hope of a GOS for us Residents.
    The other benefit would have been that some of us would not have to travel up to say R4 every year, and maybe
    displace some of the pressure up there off of those elk.
    Imagine if elk hunting was open in most regions?....but, it will never happen.
    We lost that opportunity around Lyton, and I do not see that these transplants will ever give us residents
    ample opportunity down the road....especially not when this happens, and I think it's only a matter of time till
    Squamish and the Stave also are in similar situations...IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Gawd that has to be the stupidest thing native haters have come up with...you should try to drop it from your rants. just sayin
    The truth of the matter is the use of modern high candlepower light beams is a long way removed from "traditional" wouldn't you say? And I for one will support whoever wants to rant about it for as long as the practice continues.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Yah right ! In region 9 I'll guess
    2 years ago, region 8, I took pics and sent them in, the CO called me up for more info as he was attempting to press charges as they had no license to sell, and are supposed to use it only for their own consumption..don't know if they were convicted but at least it was an attempt..