Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you pass on this, to try for this:

Re: Would you pass on this, to try for this:

If it was the first time out rattling and you brought that 1 in , chances r if you get out some more before you leave you will bring in another, I think you made the right chioce

That's a nice buck you passed. All depends on what your plan is though. I've spent years looking for one buck specifically and passed on nice deer. Other years I'll drop first legal buck. When it comes to anything other than deer. Usually first legal animal gets it. The meat is nice obviously but the game cam buck was pretty cool

Good choice
    the trail cam buck is worth waiting for, if that guys keeps showing up it would be hard to pass a 2nd time.

Im hungry. I'd kill it.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Thumbs up Re: Would you pass on this, to try for this:

You have a week yes?

Invest in some COB from your local feed store.
    Find a place where you can set up an extremely unobtrusive blind overlooking a clearing of some sort adjacent to the cover - preferably with established deer trails running to & through it.
    Place full bag of COB in clearing - set up trail cam to monitor.
    Expect a day or two for the does to find the munchies. Replace as they remove.
    Sit in blind.
    Rattle when no deer present on feed - sparingly as you already know.
    If the Big Boy is still in the area, he will most likely show within the week.

I would have passed myself knowing the Big Boy was around.
    In fact done that damn near a dozen times this season on Blacktails because I know of two worthy of holding out for.
    Of course there is a potential I will not fill the tag.
    But if I do...

Best of Luck!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Got a similar situation. But as with your trail camera buck . . . he's moving at 2am and have never seen him during the day or on the cameras in the day. Hoping the rut pulls him out

Do what Iron Noggin said. Don't forget to make use of scents as well. If there is a game trail nearby that you can walk, soak a scent wick of some sorts and drag it behind you while you walk to your setup. Might just get the big boy to walk in on his own without any rattling needed.

If I knew a big boy like that was in the area, I would likely pass in hopes of getting him. I shot a very small buck last year (something I hardly ever do) only to have a terrific chance on a monster buck later on that I couldn't shoot.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Depends on my goals at the time. I can be picky as hell or shoot a spike all depends on my goal at the time

If I was after a big buck pass

With a whole week left and the prospect of that big one, I would absolutely pass the other one up. If you're only looking for meat, shoot a 3-pointer and let #2 grow. just my opinion. Good luck, looks like you have a real treasure of a place to hunt. Be prepared not to bag either.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

What's the regional bag limit? I'd kill it and keep on hunting regardless. Kill, cook, eat.