Thread: First bow advice

First bow advice

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a compound bow within the next couple months so I can get out, practice, and try and bow hunt next season. I was wondering what your input is? If I buck up and spend the dollars, keep the bow in good condition, how long would it last me? Are there any brands that have treated you particularly well?

I've tried to do some initial research online but its somewhat overwhelming how intimate everyone seems to get with the specifics of the bows

Thanks in advance!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First bow advice

Buy a used higher end bow there are a ton on archerytalk forums

Re: First bow advice

Not really any reason to spend big dollars on a bow anymore. For around the $500 mark you can get a ready to shoot bow easily capable of over the 300 fps. I'd start there and see if you like bow hunting first, if you do you might consider an upgrade or you might be happy with what you have. You'll still need a release, arrows(12) and broad heads, you're looking at another $300 there so you're into it for $900+ without spending a grand on a bow only then adding sight, stabilizer and more.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR