Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nikon Monarch HG binos ... anyone have them locally?

Re: Nikon Monarch HG binos ... anyone have them locally?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Find me a pair. Nobody sells used Swarovski binos for $1000 .... unless they're a 30 year old model. I've looked.

Second, Nikon makes binoculars that sell for over $2500 in their Premier line.

Not sure why you'd discredit Nikon .... they're one of the worlds leading manufacturers for all kinds of photography lenses and optics. They know how to make good glass.
    You can't find a pair of used slc's or ultravids for $1000 USD? For my money $1000 is too much for Nikon anything, I've got two pair of monarchs sitting in my safe as we speak, they're great. Both have been replaced on warranty as well. Look on ebay, rokslide and archery talk for used optics, you'll find what you want if you wait.

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    You can't find a pair of used slc's or ultravids for $1000 USD? For my money $1000 is too much for Nikon anything, I've got two pair of monarchs sitting in my safe as we speak, they're great. Both have been replaced on warranty as well. Look on ebay, rokslide and archery talk for used optics, you'll find what you want if you wait.
    again .... you're discrediting something solely based on brand. And that's just plain wrong. This isn't a $1000 Tasco binocular that would raise eyebrows. Nikon is a respectable brand. I'd trust their optics more than I would Vortex.

Having said all that .... still have yet to look through the Monarch HG model. But i bet its fairly priced and on par with Zeiss Conquest HD in quality. I'll confirm once i have had a chance to compare.
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 11-24-2017 at 12:09 AM.

In 2005 I bought Monarch 10x42's, eye cup broke and in 2011 I tried to get them fixed but Nikon said no warranty.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

again .... you're discrediting something solely based on brand. And that's just plain wrong. This isn't a $1000 Tasco binocular that would raise eyebrows. Nikon is a respectable brand. I'd trust their optics more than I would Vortex.

Having said all that .... still have yet to look through the Monarch HG model. But i bet its fairly priced and on par with Zeiss Conquest HD in quality. I'll confirm once i have had a chance to compare.
    Id buy $1000 Tascos over any Nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    Id buy $1000 Tascos over any Nikon.
    ok. I have a pair of Tascos you can have for $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    In 2005 I bought Monarch 10x42's, eye cup broke and in 2011 I tried to get them fixed but Nikon said no warranty.
    They now have a no fault warranty like Vortex does. Though, i think it's 25 years not "life" .... But, I've heard some horror stories about Zeiss warranty as well. I think Vortex has set quite the precedent with its warranty that others have had no choice but to reluctantly adopt ... somewhat. I don't think any of them out there still have a warranty as good as Vortex.

They now have a no fault warranty like Vortex does. Though, i think it's 25 years not "life" .... But, I've heard some horror stories about Zeiss warranty as well. I think Vortex has set quite the precedent with its warranty that others have had no choice but to reluctantly adopt ... somewhat. I don't think any of them out there still have a warranty as good as Vortex.
    ZEISS is 5 year no fault, they are slow.

Could get get a pair of Swaro CL 10x30 for $1k new on sale

Sooooooo .... i finally had a chance to look through these Nikon HG binos. Thought i'd give an update.

They are actually quite good. Surprisingly good!

I compared them to Zeiss Conquest HD, as they are the closest competitor in price, as well as the binos that I am also considering. I have to say that the Nikons are noticeably better. The color contrast was higher so things seemed to "pop" a bit more. But in edge clarity was no comparison. The Nikons remained quite clear right to the edges whereas the Conquests definitely did not. At the end of the day, I simply enjoyed looking through the Nikons more. Their objective lens covers had a much better design as well.

Between Leica trinovid HD, Zeiss Conquest HD and these Nikons HGs, i considered weight, field of view and obviously the optic quality, and from my (unprofessional) point of view I would have to rank them:
    1. Nikon Monarch HG
    2. Zeiss Conquest HD
    3. Leica Trinovid HD

The nikons use their "field flattner" lenses on these binos, which is similar to looking through the Swarovski ELs (Not quite as pronounced). I know some have mentioned they didn't like it and could not get used to it on the ELs, so do note that looking through these will have a simlar feeling (but, again, not quite as pronounced).

I contacted a Nikon rep for Canada (since no one seems to carry them yet) and he shipped a set to Markarian Fine Optics in Vancouver for me to take a look. Should still have them in if you wanted to check them out.

Price ..... expect around $1400 including taxes. (same price between 10x42 and 8x42), so a tad less than the Conquest HD is going for at Precision Optics, for example.

Think I'm going to buy the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42. Most reviews out there pick them over more expensive competitors. Seem to be highly rated. Anyone been using them?

Find me a pair. Nobody sells used Swarovski binos for $1000 .... unless they're a 30 year old model. I've looked.

Second, Nikon makes binoculars that sell for over $2500 in their Premier line.

Not sure why you'd discredit Nikon .... they're one of the worlds leading manufacturers for all kinds of photography lenses and optics. They know how to make good glass.
    Nikon makes great glass. I wouldn't be worried.