Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Provincial mule deer bag limit changes for 2018 season

Re: Provincial mule deer bag limit changes for 2018 season

HMMM, if I had 1 MD tag, I will NOT be shooting a spiker , I will wait until November and shoot a big 3pt or 4pt or better, and in fact I would probably wait until the 2nd last or last day of hunting until I shot a 3pt, especially when the rut is on, in turn I only have 1 tag so I would definitely go when the rut is on. So it's all about trophy hunting. I would imagine there are quite a few on this site that don't shoot any mulies smaller than a 3pt, So if I'm to understand what you are saying is, if we want to populations of any kind to flourish, kill the young and leave the old, what happens when there are more killers than the young, how many young would be left to grow old? so we are left with old producing young that get killed right away. then eventually the young are gone, then we start killing the old, then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    let's do like moose and shoot only 2 pointers. That way we protect the big mature bucks from trophy hunters and they will survive to breed and also the dumb spikers and three pointers can have a fighting chance. I hear that this will certainly save the downward trend in overall population numbers. Reputable source is where I got that.

I have no problem with restricting Mule deer to one deer, just cause I like them. Based on what I know, I feel they are more susceptible to hunters than whitetail bucks, their overall numbers are lower and they are proving to be less resilient as a species than whities. My opinion only. But for those of us in the know, restricting buck harvest based on point restrictions is a total crock of shite and simply social management. Not scientific.

Quote Originally Posted by bloody bellies View Post
    HMMM, if I had 1 MD tag, I will NOT be shooting a spiker , I will wait until November and shoot a big 3pt or 4pt or better, and in fact I would probably wait until the 2nd last or last day of hunting until I shot a 3pt, especially when the rut is on, in turn I only have 1 tag so I would definitely go when the rut is on. So it's all about trophy hunting. I would imagine there are quite a few on this site that don't shoot any mulies smaller than a 3pt, So if I'm to understand what you are saying is, if we want to populations of any kind to flourish, kill the young and leave the old, what happens when there are more killers than the young, how many young would be left to grow old? so we are left with old producing young that get killed right away. then eventually the young are gone, then we start killing the old, then what?

I recomend doing some research into why pt restrictions were abandoned across most of North America. I know the theory about letting the young grow

if BC goes 1 MD a year prov limit you would be surprised how many hunters start being more selective. Go spend sometime outside of BC and see how many hunters hold back when they are only allowed 1 buck a year

Point restriction is scientifically proven to do NOTHING for increasing populations. We manage mule deer buck harvest in BC on a buck to doe ratio and we do it conservatively, meaning all does will be bred. Beyond that ratio, BUCKS are again scientifically proven to be a redundant part of populations. They simply consume valuable winter forage. Does are what we should be concerned about. Their survival is paramount to population health. It is also suggested that 4 point or better season actually are counterproductive to producing big deer as genetically superior bucks that reach 4 point status earlier in their lives are shot before they gain valuable life experience. Having an any buck season at least preserves and spares a lot of genetically superior bucks.

As for mule deer populations on the whole, they have been in decline in most areas for decades due to quality habitat erosion. With the wildfires we had this year, we will certainly have a boost in numbers on the way. I am OK with a one mule deer provincial limit for mule deer simply because I like them.
    Last edited by Seeker; 11-16-2017 at 03:51 PM.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

It is true restricting buck harvest for the most part does little for overall population and only increases the buck to doe ratio. It mostly just increases the number of bucks to hunt and more live to maturity

There is doe draws in BC I would like to see gone or tag numbers cut back. This would be better for some populations

Thumbs up Re: Provincial mule deer bag limit changes for 2018 season

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    ... restricting the number of bucks taken vs point restrictions lowering the bag limit is way superior form of management for trophy class and herd health...

Bingo!
    Between that, and reducing doe draws in areas where their numbers should be better managed, you have a Win Win both for the herd, and those who pursue them.

Of course that makes way too much sense for our current small gee government to understand, let alone act on methinks...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

Bingo!
    Between that, and reducing doe draws in areas where their numbers should be better managed, you have a Win Win both for the herd, and those who pursue them.

Of course that makes way too much sense for our current small gee government to understand, let alone act on methinks...

Cheers,
    Nog
    If only BC and BCs hunters understood how far behind the rest of North America when it comes to deer management alone

how many people shoot more than 1 mule deer...I reckon it isn't that many. This is a stupid idea that doesn't do anything for conservation. Once its gone, its gone. I usually eat tag soup hunting big bucks, so either way it won't affect me, and poachers will still be poachers so how will this help anything in regards to conservation? Stop everyone from shooting does and you might have a better impact that preventing a very few hunters from shooting 2 mulies that are hundreds of miles apart
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

How many deer will the natives be able to shoot per year? Shouldnt let any whitemen hunt then they will be happy!!

Things proven NOT to affect mule deer populations in a big way.
    - Hunter harvest of bucks

Things proven to affect mule deer populations in a big way
    - Quality winter range habitat loss
    - Quality summer range habitat loss
    - Migration corridor fragmentation
    - Road and highway collisions
    - Killing does
    - Bad buck/doe ratios
    - Overwinter survival
    - Winter fawn survival
    - Predation

Things proven to increase mule deer populations
    - Better spring - fall forage quality/availability
    - Not killing does
    - Highway underpasses
    - Prescribed fires
    - Forest fires allowed to burn off
    - Forest fire frequency
    - Good sex/age class ratios

Tell me why again I should be excited about losing hunting opportunities for bucks, which we would likely never, ever get back again? and would likely do very little to actually help mule deer populations?

Lets do it like that states. Gee wouldn't it so awesome to sit at home every year not hunting, collecting points so one day I could win a tag to hunt a mule deer and finally go out and harvest one, at least he will be a big one! there's big ones all over!

There's plenty of other things on the list to work on as a hunting community other than sticking to the only thing we know, seasons and restrictions, to help populations grow.

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    I agree we need to scrap the 4 point thing and make it 5 or better.
    LOL Now that's funny !!