Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Provincial mule deer bag limit changes for 2018 season

Re: Provincial mule deer bag limit changes for 2018 season

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Maybe the whitetail are a little tougher to hunt?
    For many BC hunters that only know mule deer yes. I have laughed many times running into hunters who can't find wt in areas with strong populations. For myself I am better at hunting WT and BT then I am at hunting MD lol. So it's all about knowledge and tactics in my opinion

But I have seen an increase in the number of hunters taking the time to learn WT tactics and apply them

WT are not tougher they are different

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Thats my point lots of track in our area we hunted in snow for the whole time.There were wolves around i killed a couple and lots of does and fawns but the Bucks were staying well hidden even though they were around.
    You have to hunt where they are hiding instead of where you think they are going

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Thats my point lots of track in our area we hunted in snow for the whole time.There were wolves around i killed a couple and lots of does and fawns but the Bucks were staying well hidden even though they were around.
    I think you put up the wrong word....nonexistent is not nocturnal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    For many BC hunters that only know mule deer yes. I have laughed many times running into hunters who can't find wt in areas with strong populations. For myself I am better at hunting WT and BT then I am at hunting MD lol. So it's all about knowledge and tactics in my opinion

But I have seen an increase in the number of hunters taking the time to learn WT tactics and apply them

WT are not tougher they are different
    Wild one, how many whitetail are shot bouncing around on roads in a pickup or atv?
    Thats seems to be the standard procedure for a lot of mule deer hunters in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Wild one, how many whitetail are shot bouncing around on roads in a pickup or atv?
    Thats seems to be the standard procedure for a lot of mule deer hunters in this area.

Poor truck hunters will have to walk! Oh no. WT hunting is too hard!

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Poor truck hunters will have to walk! Oh no. WT hunting is too hard!
    Comments like this are why MANY hunters do not post stories or photos. Me included. It would be a gong show in the bush if we were all the same. If everyone hiked deep into the timber, it would be awfully crowded. I am OK with the potential regulation change to allow only one mule deer. I shoot multiple mule deer most seasons because I know how to. This might be the push I need to become a better WT hunter !!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    Because I live in Kamloops and the amount of people in the bush during October is insane.
    Also, I'm an asshole.
    Ok, that almost made me spit my coffee.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by bloody bellies View Post
    [...] So if those 2pt were to live and get bigger and smarter, then produce more 2pt, does this not help the populations, if the group went hunting, and it was a 4pt or better reg, how many deer do you think would have been shot? I would guess maybe 2. I do understand habitat is a key role, but I just can't get around the fact that people think killing the young 2pt deer has no effect on deer populations.
    Believe it or not but neither 2pt bucks nor any other/bigger bucks ever get pregnant. So their contribution to the population is limited as long as the buck to doe ratio is healthy meaning all does do mate.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Happens every year about now with the bcwf resolution season , hunters wanting less competition thinking that will make for a better hunt for themselves?
    Have heard it many times, fortunately the process weeds out the bad ideas usually

Someone show me the science pointing out a problem with does not getting pregnant or bucks dying of over-stress by having too much tail
    and I may side with a change to buck oppoortunities,
    Until then this just sounds like another change for the sake of someones feelings being hurt by not cutting a tag.
    As usual boxhitch you have the knack for cutting to the chase without embellishing the facts one way or another. The deer season is done in many areas and winding down in others and the annual migration to the keyboard occurs right about now from a bunch of guys that had 5 or 6 epic road hunts to the mule deer grounds and didn't connect. They have a mission to cut back as much hunting opportunity as possible to increase the numbers of deer so that their annual outings will have a 4 point around every second corner for them!

More roads, more road hunters, deer move off of roads. The end. I'll be waiting patiently for data coming from the bios, and I do think we are entering a time where the importance of this is recognised, and politically in vogue. We do need to keep a close eye on Mule deer no question they are or can be vulnerable. But a healthy number of deer in safe pockets they've found is a good thing. If that's not the case then changes should and will ensue with hunting opportunities. How many deer are spotted by casual road hunters is interesting at best but pretty much irrelevant.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

The only areas where I have seen less than the usual mule deer numbers is the areas with high wolf and coyote sign, which is seems to be increasing fairly steadily in my observations.