Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Provincial mule deer bag limit changes for 2018 season

Re: Provincial mule deer bag limit changes for 2018 season

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I think the the lack of funding that causes bios to run with assumed numbers is no doubt a factor in BC. With the lack of solid numbers a more conservative approach is a better option in my opinion then the one being used. I know for a fact it has been many year since a proper count has been done in some areas

I do not blame BCs bios I know for a fact some are frustrated with BCs management as well
    I completely agree.......it is definitely not their fault, they can only do so much with little $$

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    On the plus side, the dedicated funding model for wildlife that was supported by all parties before the provincial election was supported in the recent Provincial budget.

This is a major step in the right direction. Funding.....science......science based decisions.

SSS
    That is definitely a major step, God I hope it actually does come to fruition..

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    Build Habitat habitat habitat, road deactivation, be rid of any buck season, kill more predators bear, coyote, wolf, cats, stop the year round slaughter of any deer by a certain group.

All the above would be a start.
    YUP Completely AGREE ! RJ

One buck limit on Mule deer would maybe solve some social issues and perhaps spread the harvest to some who would not otherwise but it is pretty useless as a tool to raise the deer population. Many of the suggestions are just strategic to raise overall age of bucks which has some merit socially but not so much biologically. The crux of so many complaints is you guy's egos for the most part and I don't think that's wrong really it is just a fact about being a man in general no need to apologize but there sure is a need for honesty. Cause honestly your complaints have shit all to do with herd health...just more politics to get what you want.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

There are some significant changes on the horizon.

"2018 B.C. Budget Consultation: "Committee Members support dedicated funding for fish and wildlife conservation and management, and a science and ecosystem-based approach to conservation and management."

Wildlife managers can't make changes to regulations without the most recent inventories supporting their proposals.

In the last flight counts for mule deer in Region 8 there were mixed results. Some MU's (or portion of MU's) were below the target minimum of 20 bucks per 100 does.....while some were well above the minimums...even in high pressure MU's like 8-11. The MU with the lowest deer numbers and low buck:doe ratios hasn't seen a significant burn for decades.......at least until this year.

But one of the most important pieces of info that came from the most recent flights was that the fawn to doe ratios were consistently in the 65-68:100 range going into winter(considered healthy). This shows that sperm supply isn't a factor.

The MU's that were low are on the radar for potential changes. Hopefully, the dedicated funding will increase the frequency of inventory flights so they can adjust seasons in a timely fashion...if required.

SSS
    Well there ya go....when we're these aerial counts done??

I've killed more than one muley buck in a season only once.

Might be a good poll to make??
    I agree......

I should add that from my observations this year I'm seeing very healthy mule deer numbers, a lot of yearlings, which supports the claim that sperm supply isn't an issue, though I'm seeing way more does than bucks as usual, but I'm guessing that a lot of the bucks are just staying in the thick/nocturnal..

Heck guys, I cant speak for every mu in r3, but just about every doe I've seen has a fawn.
    If the survey is saying 60-70%...I would have to say that is bang on.
    Now...how many of those fawns make it to "breeding age".....the following fall!!??
    You know...before the hunting season......what percentage is left then?....and if it's way down,
    there's only 2 main factors for that...habitat or preds.
    1 mule deer....well...you will have some tagging a deer for the freezer, and others in search of "the big one".
    What I do know is certain in that scenario, certain R3 mu's will be a lot less busy come the "remembrance weekend".
    Also, if you opened up R5 which is closed at that time will also disperse hunters more.
    There is "no If's" about that.
    Come November, many meat guys will have their deer....and they will be done, atleast with mulie hunting.
    Or, you may find a few guys "start to become selective" when hunting mule deer.
    Lets face it, some don't want hunting to end by October, and if you are stuck with only 1 tag, well, you may start
    passing up on those "easy dumb bucks" (as some refer them as).
    Also for sure is, you won't have someone (LM'r like me) hunting R8 for a cheap meat buck, and the up to join
    the crowds in R3 during the "rut".
    I am pretty confident about what will occur with those changes, and hunters habits, and the amount of hunters in
    an area, at certain times of the season...if they make it a 1 deer limit.
    What I don't get is...why are some of you (and you are hunters just like me), so worried about whether a "spike buck"
    is taken????
    So what!....what does it matter if someone here wants meat...let them....it's not going to damage our mulies future
    population.
    For everyone of those guys, there's a guy like me who is looking for a minimum 4 pt.

On top of that, what about those "genetically huge 3 pt's", that you only see during 4 pt season.
    In the end we end up with a bunch of 3 pointers, or those "frickin crab claw" that seem to be taking over.
    (yup, sometimes I have forgone the "big one", just to weed out those buggers)

At least an open buck season, with no point restriction is the "healthy" way to go.
    There's lots of us who pass on those little guys.
    And there's lots of those big boys around too...and if you have a lot of hunting experience, then you all know that those bucks exist....they are just frickin hard to hunt, or get at during daylight hours.
    Like I said, I am all good with it, I don't need 3 deer in my freezer.
    If we are going to have to swallow that pill, then at least we should all get on board and remove the previous restrictions.....that should be the concern.
    The only guys it will hurt are the ones "who truly need/use" the 3 deer they harvest in a season.

I respect peoples opinions...I do...but I don't get why someone still thinks that a "point restriction" needs to be also
    applied to a species where you will now be reduced to only taking 1 in a annual season.
    If there is an issue with the population of mule deer, and we have been reduced to only taking 1, I guarantee you,
    It is "not" hunting that is causing the problem, and it won't be because "all the little" guys were taken because of
    hunting either......it will be something that is "not" related to us hunters.
    I think it's time as hunters, we all get in line, on board, and start "pushing back"....
    We have been shoved around for years now, and some of you were not even born when that started....
    and it was in the name of making "wildlife more abundant" in the future, thru "protection", by the use and "implementation of restriction".....
    Guess what???.....big fail!!......didn't happen....did it.......how much more "science" do you need?????

I read somewhere they were considering making you hunt in the MU where you live. No more would everyone from the LML be converging on kamloops and the Kootenay regions. I know when I go hunt 7b lots of the locals don't like seeing us up there....food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Heck guys, I cant speak for every mu in r3, but just about every doe I've seen has a fawn.
    If the survey is saying 60-70%...I would have to say that is bang on.
    Now...how many of those fawns make it to "breeding age".....the following fall!!??
    You know...before the hunting season......what percentage is left then?....and if it's way down,
    there's only 2 main factors for that...habitat or preds.
    1 mule deer....well...you will have some tagging a deer for the freezer, and others in search of "the big one".
    What I do know is certain in that scenario, certain R3 mu's will be a lot less busy come the "remembrance weekend".
    Also, if you opened up R5 which is closed at that time will also disperse hunters more.
    There is "no If's" about that.
    Come November, many meat guys will have their deer....and they will be done, atleast with mulie hunting.
    Or, you may find a few guys "start to become selective" when hunting mule deer.
    Lets face it, some don't want hunting to end by October, and if you are stuck with only 1 tag, well, you may start
    passing up on those "easy dumb bucks" (as some refer them as).
    Also for sure is, you won't have someone (LM'r like me) hunting R8 for a cheap meat buck, and the up to join
    the crowds in R3 during the "rut".
    I am pretty confident about what will occur with those changes, and hunters habits, and the amount of hunters in
    an area, at certain times of the season...if they make it a 1 deer limit.
    What I don't get is...why are some of you (and you are hunters just like me), so worried about whether a "spike buck"
    is taken????
    So what!....what does it matter if someone here wants meat...let them....it's not going to damage our mulies future
    population.
    For everyone of those guys, there's a guy like me who is looking for a minimum 4 pt.

On top of that, what about those "genetically huge 3 pt's", that you only see during 4 pt season.
    In the end we end up with a bunch of 3 pointers, or those "frickin crab claw" that seem to be taking over.
    (yup, sometimes I have forgone the "big one", just to weed out those buggers)

At least an open buck season, with no point restriction is the "healthy" way to go.
    There's lots of us who pass on those little guys.
    And there's lots of those big boys around too...and if you have a lot of hunting experience, then you all know that those bucks exist....they are just frickin hard to hunt, or get at during daylight hours.
    Like I said, I am all good with it, I don't need 3 deer in my freezer.
    If we are going to have to swallow that pill, then at least we should all get on board and remove the previous restrictions.....that should be the concern.
    The only guys it will hurt are the ones "who truly need/use" the 3 deer they harvest in a season.

I respect peoples opinions...I do...but I don't get why someone still thinks that a "point restriction" needs to be also
    applied to a species where you will now be reduced to only taking 1 in a annual season.
    If there is an issue with the population of mule deer, and we have been reduced to only taking 1, I guarantee you,
    It is "not" hunting that is causing the problem, and it won't be because "all the little" guys were taken because of
    hunting either......it will be something that is "not" related to us hunters.
    I think it's time as hunters, we all get in line, on board, and start "pushing back"....
    We have been shoved around for years now, and some of you were not even born when that started....
    and it was in the name of making "wildlife more abundant" in the future, thru "protection", by the use and "implementation of restriction".....
    Guess what???.....big fail!!......didn't happen....did it.......how much more "science" do you need?????
    Well stated. I've passed on 8 small mule bucks already this season, I'm holding out for a big one, could have tagged more but one will be enough this season.