Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .17 HMR VS. Grouse

.17 HMR VS. Grouse

Managed to break in my new CZ 455 that I got myself last Christmas. Shooting 20gr Hollow points.

Guess I should have aimed a little higher.

Top half of breast completely gone!!!

caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

2. Site Sponsor

Re: .17 HMR VS. Grouse

Did better on this one!

Gotta love the size of the blues compared to the ruffies!

caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Didn't get as many grouse this year as I would have liked, but I did see a good deal of the them. Always good eating and it feels good to bring a few home when out on a big game hunt.

Head or neck shots only. Body shots just waste good meat.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Gave my Son an H&R 17 HMR single shot a few years back, he liked it for grouse.
    I was sitting in the truck one time when he shot one nearby, all I saw was a head fly one way and the body the other.
    He prefers the .22 now.

I prefer the .17 over the .22 or 12ga. Mine is stupidly accurate at 100 yards, makes shooting grouse a bit more challenging I like to get them from as far away as I can, definitely want a head shot though.

HMR17 perfect grouse gun... head shots at 50 meters all day long! Wish I hadn't sold mine.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Might consider using full metal jackets. Body shots with hollow points, no. I've been shooting Prairie Chicken and Ruffed Grouse for 55+ years with .22 solids, never hollow points. Now, 17HMR hollow points on gophers, POOF!
    If there ain't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell!!

I have taken to shooting grouse from much further away with the 17hmr. I have had similar experiences with ruining meat because i didnt aim high enough, but the 17hmr is a great caliber.
    Firearms and fishing rods, my idea of a good time!

I shot a rabbit once with my 17HMR, and when I got up to it i took a few seconds to figure out why it looked so strange... it was just the body attached to the two ears by a thin strip of neck fur. The rest of its head was completely missing.

Switched the barrel back to 22LR after that for meat hunting. The 17 is a blast at the range and for varmints though