Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Year Grizzly Hunting Story (Long)

First Year Grizzly Hunting Story (Long)

New member and first time posting and hopefully I don’t ramble on but my brother told me I should go ahead and share my experience. First off I’ve been hunting since I have been old enough to go out with my dad but this past season was the first time I’ve ever considered grizzly hunting mainly due to a long time grizzly hunter I work with. I applied for the spring draw with no luck but managed to draw a tag for the fall in 7-28, I put on roughly 4,500 kms in 9 days trying to find a grizzly or huntable sign and never had any sightings from the road and only saw 4 different sets of tracks.

On one fateful day 2 weeks ago I was on my last hunt for the season due to feeling defeated by lack of sign and no sightings me, a buddy, and my dad were going down a old logging road in about 6-8 inches of snow we saw fresh grizzly tracks crossing the road and heading into heavy timber which wasn’t my ideal situation but due to it being our only hope we went in after it while my dad went further down the road to a cut block incase he circled that way. The timber was thick and visibly was only about 10 feet but that opened up into bigger openings but the deadfall was horrible and didn’t make it easy or quiet traveling and about half a kilometre in after going around a tree and under another tree and a slight bend I looked up and just caught the slightest bit of movement in the trees and I motioned for my buddy to stop and I looked back and I could see more movement and that’s when I realized I was finally looking at a very large grizzly at only 60 yards and he was looking at me but the problem was the timber and deadfall was so thick all I could see was his head moving around and the last few inches of his hind quarters and the rest of him was covered in trees that I could not see around to get a shot at his mid section.

We stood there for what seemed like an eternity waiting for him to start moving so that he would hopefully walk into a shooting lane but he just stood there moving his head around until the wind picked up and snapped a branch a ways off to our right and that’s when he lifted his head and started huffing and puffing and turned around and high tailed it back into the timber and up the ridge moving to quickly to offer a shot opertunity and I tried to turn him around or stop him with a rabbit distress call but that didn’t work. When we started continuing our stalk forward that’s when tension started to mount because now the grizzly knew something wasn’t right and when we got to where he was standing that’s when we realized why he didn’t move. Turns out he was standing on his kill, he found a black bear den, dug up the den, killed and was eating the black bear (pics to follow). After seeing that we figured that bear didn’t go far and quite possibly will be returning in an awfully big hurry but never saw him or heard him again so we got onto his trail and continued following him through the snow and found a pile of crap, then further down the trail he laid down but got back u when we neared him, then further on he stopped and meddled around a bit but then continued on never letting us get close to him again and never trying to circle us or circle back to the kill and after 2 kms of following him we turned back and headed back to the road.

That’s my story of my first year grizzly hunting, I’m not done with grizzlies yet and I’ll continue hunting them but it’s too bad everything changes after this year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3B1526B2-5D80-45BA-855D-2DC2A64B96E3.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	6578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82BE684E-2DA3-43BD-BB88-1E259B211D9F.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	6579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7C05F215-25D1-46E2-AC81-D29FF074F48F.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	6580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A27D0874-C51B-4826-9ABB-EA9AC22792E3.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	6581  
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 11-15-2017 at 08:39 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Year Grizzly Hunting Story (Long)

Nice story and close opportunity. Thanks for the read. I hate to criticize, but it would be a lot easier to read if you split it up into smaller paragraphs.

Thanks for sharing. Fortunate for you the bear wasn't in a protective mood. On another note, I am of the belief that hunting where the known bear carcass was may be construed as "baiting", and that is illegal. The first day you bumped the Grizzly, that would probably be fine, but returning in hopes of the bear being there knowing that the carcass was there? Very grey..... Something maybe to research.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Good point, thanks for the tip. And yeah I’ll edit the post to split up the story to make it easier to read.

Oh boy, pop some corn, this should be good.

To bad the bear didn't present a shot . Would of liked to see a pic of him. Thanks for read and the pics.

Awesome!! that would be pretty intense. Pretty wild to find a black bear killed by the Grizz. Hard to tell by the pics but looks like a bigger black bear too. Sounds like the hunt paid off just with that experience. It would have for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Fortunate for you the bear wasn't in a protective mood. On another note, I am of the belief that hunting where the known bear carcass was may be construed as "baiting", and that is illegal. The first day you bumped the Grizzly, that would probably be fine, but returning in hopes of the bear being there knowing that the carcass was there? Very grey..... Something maybe to research.
    Really? I can't see that being portrayed as "baiting". Maybe if the hunter was placing carcasses out but not a natural kill.

I guess you can't hunt deer under an oak tree or shoot a moose browsing regrowth in a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Really? I can't see that being portrayed as "baiting". Maybe if the hunter was placing carcasses out but not a natural kill.

I guess you can't hunt deer under an oak tree or shoot a moose browsing regrowth in a cut.
    Its legal to bait deer and moose.

This has been discussed time and time again, hopefully this one doesn't spiral down as some have in the past, but I fear that likely wont happen.

How big do you think both the bears were!?

My point is its natural food. Natural for bears as natural as nuts or regrowth for deer and moose. The definition reads as NON natural placed foods (including meat) but a natural kill..... And are you going back to walk in on him again over it!! lol I don't know if i would next time knowing what you do now, incase he's not going to play nice next time. I wouldn't want to meat an angry bear in blow down. You could be crossing over trees right over top him.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    I don't get where the Op implies that he returns to the kill site later in hopes of finding the bear??? If you spot a bear in a berry patch and go back there the next day with a bear tag, is it baiting?
    Come on people, let members tell their stories as they happened and enjoy the read!
    Very cool story Anonymoose! Hopefully the people of BC will come to their senses and never put NDP/Green at the helm again.