Thread: Hunting ducks on farmland

Hunting ducks on farmland

Ok, ive never hunted waterfowl, but I have the opportunity to hunt some private farmland in the Fraser Valley. Apart from the usual licence requirements etc, any tips on how to get started?

I have a shotgun and licences etc, so just looking for some basic tactics.

Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting ducks on farmland

Drive to farm. Park and walk out into the field. Maybe set up a flapper or 2. Sit in the ditch and wait.

At least this is how we've done it the few times I've been out.

If your on a farm the land and feed regularly easy. Just take a morning and watch where they land come first light. Set out a few decoys and a mojo light calling your good

If your hunting land they mostly just fly over more decoys and better calling is needed. Hunting traffic is tougher but can still be good if you can get the birds attention

attention to your blind is key...

I hunt farmland in delta a few times a week, and have found that each field has it's own quirks as far as what works and what doesn't.
    I would start with a mojo and some basic calling - hail call when they are far out, then feeding chuckles until they fold their wings on final approach. The next step would be some more decoys. In the field floater decoys are often too small and do very little, so I would recommend getting 6 good full body decoys.

Remember waterfowl land flying into the wind, so keep the wind at your back or to the side.

Use a ditch as cover and remember to remain very still. Odds are if the ducks aren't committing to your spread it's because your are moving too much!

Good tips - thanks guys.

In terms of calls, what would be a good duck call to pick up?

id spend money on gas scouting and seeing where they are landing before anything. Once you know where they are that's 90% of it. From there, work on your hide. I prefer not to sit in a ditch lol. So you can build a small/cheap blind with rebar and deer fencing or burlap, or you could buy a layout blind if you decide this is something you want to do more regularly. Lastly get yourself a few decoys and a robo duck or 2.

for duck calls I prefer
    jj. lares and RM calls.

You can kill ducks with a kazoo if you are in the right spot with a good hide.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Took the words right off my keyboard Lorne, well except you call choices lol
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    id spend money on gas scouting and seeing where they are landing before anything. Once you know where they are that's 90% of it. From there, work on your hide. I prefer not to sit in a ditch lol. So you can build a small/cheap blind with rebar and deer fencing or burlap, or you could buy a layout blind if you decide this is something you want to do more regularly. Lastly get yourself a few decoys and a robo duck or 2.

for duck calls I prefer
    jj. lares and RM calls.

Lorne
    Id pay to watch you play the kazoo and kill ducks!! lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post

What size shells do you load into your kazoo? And yeah I'll admit it, I've sat in my share of ditches.
    To warm barrels and cold noses