Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knock out Buck

guest Guest

Knock out Buck

Yesterday I had a very strange encounter with a Blacktail Buck.
    While driving along Fraser Hwy, Abby to Langley, several vehicles were parked on both sides of the Hwy with hazard lights on, I could see a few people crouched on the shoulder with something covered up with a blanket and high viz coat. I thought a person had been struck by a vehicle and pulled over to help.
    Well it wasn't a person, it was a BT buck, it had been struck by a vehicle clearly evident was its antlers had been shortened to a small spike on both sides. They were snapped off. Asking if every one was ok, one individual was clearly shaken and petting the deers face. It's mouth wide open and blinking I asked if a CO was called, Police too ? All yes and enroute. A woman asked if I could transport said buck to a animal shelter in my truck ....... Well not like that, he would need to be hog tied and bound if transported by any one.
    Having been involved in a number of these incidents over the years in my line of work, I advised these folks that the critter would mist likely have to be put down to stop its suffering.
    it had been down for ten to fifteen minutes when local Police showed up. I was having conversation with the constable, when suddenly the buck jumps up, jumps the ditch, right into thick blackberries and slams into chain link fence, for some reason the fence was installed off the ground, the buck dove under the fence and took off for greener pastures. Weird! He'd been knocked silly and was obvious shock till he came too.
    Hopefully this guy survives, and doesn't have internal injuries that may claim his life, but where he's living, and the rut on........ Who knows. Strange, never seen one get up and go like that after getting wacked at highway speed. Wow.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Knock out Buck

the impact to his antlers must have knocked him out. I had a fellow hunter tell me a story about shooting a moose only to have it jump up and run away as he got to it..he shot again successfully. turns out the first bullet had struck the base of an antler and temporarily knocked the bull out. hope your BT didn't suffer internal injuries and makes it.

The fools petting it are lucky they never got the antlers busted out of their mouths when that beast came to.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    The fools petting it are lucky they never got the antlers busted out of their mouths when that beast came to.
    i know I couldn't believe it, face to face, like it was a sick little puppy, lucky he didn't get his bell rung.

Smart to say you wouldn't haul it unless it was well tied up. Stories about guys that put their not-dead buck in the back of their SUV are pretty funny but also pretty dangerous.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Even if he doesn't survive at least have a few more nights of shagging.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

It's utterly unbelievable how some people sometimes react to animals hit by vehicles,
    especially when it's obvious the animal is fatally wounded and suffering terribly.
    When driving a commercial vehicle years ago I came up upon a similar situation but the
    animal was a raccoon. It had broken limbs, jaw was in pieces, caved in ribs, and blood
    coming out of it's ears and mouth yet was still alive. There were a couple of ladies trying
    to pick it up to take to a vet and got very nasty when an officer was going to put it out of
    it's misery. Everyone else realized it had to be destroyed, and I offered to do the deed, but
    left it to the officer and left rather than get my company's name involved.

Wow, those people are lucky they didnt get the crap kicked out of them when he came to!

People have some weird reactions to suffering animals. They feel like the most humane thing to do would be to try and revive a critically injured animal, when the best and most humane thing would be a quick, clean kill to put an end to its suffering. Its a wild animal after all, and im sure the trauma of an animal shelter would be bad enough, let alone recovering from injuries that will likely result in it starving to death in the wild.
    Last edited by ajr5406; 11-15-2017 at 12:48 PM.

my cat brought home a mouse that she had wounded but still wanted to play with it some more...she dropped it on the grass in the back yard in front of my wife and I...she wanted to watch the cat and it but I went to grab a stick to club it.....as I got to it she says "don't be so cruel"......funny how people think some times...

Holy crap. Can't believe he got up and ran away after all that! Resilient bugger. As for the people kneeling beside it and stroking it's face... Well, I just shake my head. They're damn lucky the thing decided to run the opposite way away from them.